Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 7.1 to 7.1XC upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sctel

Vendor
Dec 28, 2015
US
Hi there.

I attempted a software upgrade in order to add a 2nd fiber card to an MICS.

I started at 6.1 non-XC, powered down, put in a R2 NVRAM sleeve and 7.1 non-XC software card.
Powered back up; 10 minutes later, 7.1 was in place and all programming retained.

Powered down, put in the 7.1XC card. Powered up; 3.5 hrs later, the phones were still blinking.

I finally restored the system to the original software and NVRAM sleeve, and it's back to the way it was at the beginning.

Has anyone ever had a faulty software card? Or is there something I'm missing regards to migrating from 7.1 to 7.1XC?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Not sure, you need to read the manual of the version you are going too as it will tell you how to do it and what upgrade tools if any.
In reading it only you will know what you missed.

Search "Upgrade" on the PDF.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Yes, I did it according to the manual.
Everything I've read says that this should be plug-and-play.
I've read that it can take a long time to load the XC software, but I don't think that it should take 3.5 hrs..

I am guessing 45 minutes tops.

Is the NVRAM new or used?
If I recall the manual states to not use an old one but luckily I never had an issue.

Perhaps the software is an issue.

Tough one but best bet maybe try another NVRAM and software.

And you the amp cables off to prevent any static charge.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks for your reply.
The NVRAM is refurb, I think, and it has an "03" under the NT part number. Release 3, I suppose??
Someone on this forum said that he starts by putting the new NVRAM sleeve in place with the original software, and then upgrades from there.
I admit, I did not disconnect the amp cables. I'll do that next time. But....the upgrade from 6.1 to 7.1 went without a hitch, so I was surprised when the XC didn't take.
I kind of suspect bad software, but don't know how common that issue may be..

Thanks again for your input!

I lied, I forgot the one time which was only last summer.

I had a system with PRI issues, in the end swapping the NVRAM solved it but it was refurbished so it ended up wiping out some programming.

-It changed card to loop, I changed it back to PRI the it became BlocB and knocked out access to PRI-A on all sets.

It was easier for me to just give access to everyone to Block-B and and adjust the Route.

Shorting out the caps on the NVRAM may have helped in that case.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks for your responses. I've got some new software arriving tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happens.

Received replacement software card and NVRAM sleeve. No luck. Upgrade to 7.1 went fine, but 7.1XC never stopped flashing. I waitend 1.5 hrs.

I have no idea what the solution might be, but I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for the help you all gave along the thread, in any case.

What are all the NT numbers on all the software's involved?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Try putting the new software with the original NVRAM

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Just a thought, are both fibre expansion cards 6 port? If one is 2 port I don't think they can be mixed.

True except problem would have occurred right away on the original software.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back