Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 5.0 PRI not giving ringback to callers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRogers

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
US
Norstar KSU, MICS 5.0 with the PRI key.

Been working with a vendor who has two Norstar MICS 5.0 installed for PRI service with us. (Two different customers and locations with the same cards in both.) One works fine, while the other is not returning ringback on inbound calls. The calling person hears dead air while the desk phone rings, once answered the calls are fine. Outbound complete with no problems, T1 is clean, and the d channel is processing the info. We've verified that the translation on the DMS-100 are set up correctly and that they are both the same. We are running NI-2 protocol on both. He swapped the T1 card (between the two) and the problem stayed with the original PBX. I can take the PRI that is working correctly and jumper it to the PBX with the problem and we get the same results (No Ringback). We've also taken the PRI with the suspected problem and pointed it towards the PBX that is working and the calls complete just fine. I've also monitored (facing the customer) the working PRI with a 2209 test set and can hear the ringback coming from the working PRI. All of this tells me it's a PBX issue. The vendor is saying the ringback comes from the provider and I can't prove it should be coming from the Norstar.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks

I personally think that the tone generators are located on the services/combo card but norstarguru is of the opinion that the telco is the source of ringback etc. see thread799-649156 I am going to do a little digging and see if I can find a reference.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

We are the provider/CO on this and the ring back is not coming from us on a PRI. Any help would be great. Thanks

ITAS put out a bulletin June 2001 for MICS 5.0 W.I. 6.00 saying that there is a problem with a lack of ringback tone from the Norstar with this software release. They have since fixed the problem. Upgrade the software.

Since it is a glitch in the Nortel product you should be able to get it for free, but don't take my word on it.

Don,

I have encountered this exact problem. The truth is the provider is required to play the ringing to the calling party, but only after the provider gets a signal from your Norstar to do so. This is not a hardware problem on your side. It is a problem with the PCMICA card, the software card. Replace your PCMICA card and it should fix your problem. This drove me nutts!!!

This was a CPE issue. Norstar had a known problem with the first software release that caused the PRI not to give ring back. They have a free fix for it if you contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back