Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 4.1 to 6.1 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljclives

Vendor
May 22, 2004
US
After reading previous posts I am more confused. Some say when you insert the 6.1 PCM card nothing will be lost(except for maybe some minor line renumbering). Other posts indicate that the system actually defaulted and needed to be completely reprogrammed. What's a guy to believe?

4.1 to 6.1 with just a pcmia card will be just replacing the card...i would do a backup anyway but should be a no brainer Now if you are doing a feature catridge upgrade "from rel 1 to 2" do a back up replace only the outer catridge do a restore then do another backup and replace the pcmia card to complete the upgrade...make sure if you have a NAM the release is at 4.1 if not YOU MUST UPGRADE NAM FIRST TO 4.1

ski season has started

Thanks! Never done a backup - there is a RAD on site. I do have NRU 10.1 installed on my laptop. Where can I get documentation on DETAILED info on procedures for remote and direct backup of MICS?

dont know..i had a internal engineer explain and i have been doing for years...the nru software may come with documentaion

ski season has started

go download it again. It will come with documentation.

NTL555

You need to find someone local who can be onsite and walk you thru this upgrade for the first time. The level of experience needed for this type of NAM, MICS upgrade and
lack of proper tools (backup software, backpack etc,) will compound your percentages for failure. Aquiring the NRU and
MAPS for 6.1 and Backpack without the experience will make for a long night. Make sure that you also have the proper Backpack driver for the equipment, and laptop NRU version for 6.1 backup and restore. Test it before you need it, on a working system. The last thing you want to find out is that you don't have a working backup system or Backpack.

UPGRADE NAM TO 4.1 first - if you don't you will not have VM the next business day.

BETTER HAVE THE NEW NRU 10 With the correct MAPS or you will have a long day......

DON'T PULL THE NVRAM CART unless you want to reprogramm it all........

BACK UP SYSTEM ...Pwr down, pull the software card 4.1)(leave in the NVRAM #1), put in new software card (6.1), power up and BACK UP SYS, Pwr down and replace the NVRAM (ver#2) with the 6.1 software, Pwr up and when stable reload thru the RAD all programming you backed up.

no problem upgrading 4.x to 6.x

turn off power...remove old 4.x card...replace with new 6.x card..power up agin...wait a few minutes and go test a phone...check lines, call another extension, etc.

Thanks for all the help! I'm not touching the feature cartridge, correct? It is V2. Customer wants 6.1 XC now rather than 6.1. Any difference? When I power down the KSU Can I leave the 6 port combo and T1 card in but unplug the fiber connectors to all the station modules and NAM before I power up?

That's a differnet question...I am only talking about a simple MICS with or without the cartridges...just take the system down as siad and back up again...

I will ask around and re-confirm the issue of the PRI and the NAM (which is a voicemail, right?)

Don't use short cut as suggested above..will have problems later.(per ITAS)..need to change as instructed on final steps above.......Make sure that you have latest MR revision
or with a PRI / T1 you will have channels locking up and other wierd little gremlins..(per ITAS ALERT)

Now I'm confused.Too many conflicting posts.

Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Set me straight.

I don't want a reputation as part of making sure everyone reads this.

Should a vendor, call a vendor, call a vendor now?

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back