Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 4.1 configuration problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSupporttech

Programmer
Jan 19, 2006
US

I have a MICS 4.1 with a service card in slot 2 a 2 port fiber card in slot 1 and a DTI card in slot 4.
Problem is the system will not boot with this config(system says warm reboot, reset or OK), either option the system never boots. I have done a system default each time I changed the configuration.
If I remove the 2port fiber card it boots fine with the service and DTI card only.
I have also put a 6port fiber combo card in and it boots fine. Question is do I need XC software for the service and 2port fiber config to work? Thanks

You need Service Card in Slot 1 and 2-Port Fiber Expansion Card in Slot 2.

Adversity is Opportunity

XC software is requried if you want to install two 6 port fiber expansion cards in a single MICS system.

Your problem is that you have in the past installed a 6 port fiber card in this system and you have tried to remove it or install a smaller card (2 port expansion card).
Any time you decrease system size or downgrade software version in a Norstar you will cause a system reset or corruption.

If you want to use the 2 port card in this system you will have to power down the system remove any expansion cards and insert the 6 port expansion card. Then power up the system and within 15 minutes of boot do a system startup.
Use feature **startup to reset the system to factory defaults

Remove power from the system while the LCD's are blinking on the phones (while the system is starting up and before the startup completes).
Before you power the system back up remove the 6 port expansion card.
Power it up again wait for it to boot and do another system startup.
This will wipe the system clean and it will not remember its previous hardware configuration. Also any previously entered keycodes will be lost!
After the startup is finished you can remove power again and insert the 2 port expansion card etc...

David Brillert:
NNCAS NNCSS NNCDS 3Com CNTS
Product Manager

Yes the slots are numbered.
Slot two on the right
Slot one on the left
The first expansion card goes on slot two on the right

Note:
You cannot mix and match 2 port and 6 port expansion cards.
You cannot install two 2 port expansion cards in one system.
XC software supports:
One 2 port expansion card
OR
One 6 port expansion card
OR
Two 6 port expansion cards

Non XC software supports:
One 2 port expansion card in slot 2 (right)
OR
One 6 port expansion card in slot 2 (right)

You cannot downgrade system size or software version without a **startup or coldstart

David Brillert:
Product Manager

This is an edit to my previous post

Note:
You cannot mix and match 2 port and 6 port expansion cards.
You cannot install two 2 port expansion cards in one system.

XC software supports:
No expansion cards
OR
OR
OR
Two 6 port expansion cards; first in slot 2 (right, modules 3-8) and second in slot 1 (left, modules 9-14)
XC Software version prior to version 7 supports expansion modules 3-12 with modules 13,14 reserved for Companion base stations.
XC Software version 7 and higher supports expansion modules 3-14 and does not support Companion base stations (manufacture discontinued)
Trunk modules are only supported on modules 3-8 and will not function on modules 9-14 (only applies to XC software since XC is required to enable modules 9-14)

Non XC software supports:
No expansion cards
OR
OR

You cannot downgrade system size or software version without a **startup or coldstart

David Brillert:
Product Manager

I think I have not explained what is going on well enough.
I have a MICS 4.1 with a DTI card in slot 4 and a service card(clock card) in slot 2.
The 2 port fiber card is in slot 1. The system will not boot with the 2port card installed at all. It boots fine without the fiber card.
I have removed all cards and defaulted the cabinet numerous times. I put the 6port combo card in as a last measure to see if my DTI would sync and it did.
In all the T-1 cuts I have done the combo or service card always goes in slot 2. My DTI never sync's with service card in slot 1.
This is the first cut I have done using a service only card and a 2 port fiber card. I usually use a combo card for T-1 cuts. Hope this helps.Thanks

The 2 port goes in slot 2 and the service card goes in slot 1.

sorry dewey i meant to give a ster to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back