Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft outlook 2000 prompting for username, domain, and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasona45

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US
I have a windows 2000 server running exchange 2000 server and windows professional clients sometimes users at remote facilitys are prompted to enter there username, domain, and password when starting outlook 2000.

Make sure the machines are pointing to the right place for their name resolution (DNS,WINS).

they are pointing to the right place this only happens occasionally.

1)Are the Clients in the same Domain as the exchange Box?, if not is there a sufficent trust set up between the domains ?

2) You say the clients are on a remote site..is there a DC on that Site to allow authentication of the user accounts ?

The clients are in the same domain as the exchange box

There is only one dc.

They should'nt get the prompt to enter your username domain and password but on occasion they do.

Normally a problem with dns on win2k machines, try putting the first dns on the clients as your win2k server

I'm having the same problem, the machine is within the same domain as the exchange server, It seems that only the Administrator can access outlook whereas any additional users are prompted with the user ID box (which even when the correct details are entered still keeps popping up)

Did anyone manage to resolve the problem?

Does it prompt every time the user logs on? After they click cancel several times does it go ahead and open Outlook?
We had that problem and the DNS settings had to be set correctly. Some machines had to have the DNS suffix put in also.

In the Outlook profile, Exchange Server settings, advanced tab, what is "network logon security" set to?

If "none", the user always get prompted for authentication. If "password authentication", then the user's domain password should be used transparently for authentication.

It does not prompt every time the users log on put when it does you have to restart and open outlook again and you don't get the prompt.

Been and had a play and noticed that the administrator could access all the new accounts that I created, I had a look at the security of the exchange server from within system manager and as a test added a mail-enabled user with full control. Alas that user could open outlook straight away with no logon box.

The only thing which concerns me at the moment is that this seems a very odd thing to have to do to get a machine up and running with email. Does anyone know why this is happening? Does any one know what a reasonable selection of security settings for a standard user would be?

It doesn't end there though!! I want to give the users an email address which is a subdomain of the domain in which the exchange server exists. i.e the domain is company.com and I need finance.company.com. I'm guessing this should be straightforward although I can't seem to get it working. I've looked at various microsoft stuff and am pretty sure that I have the recipient policies created ok, I'm currently looking at the DNS configuration etc.

My question is - is it possible with standard exchange edition or does it need to be enterprise edition.

Any help would be appreciated.

jasona45,

Did you ever find a solution to your Exchange problem? I have been having the exact same problem on a number of machines on our network but have yet to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

No solution yet if you figure anything out let me know

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

I have the same problem with every account that I created. Users are promted for username and password for remote access; when given user can't access. I just started 2 weeks ago and I am very limited in exchange

I get this problem when passwords for the users, expire. If you have someone change their password at that time, I bet they will get in to their e-mail. The reason Administrators can check their mail with no problem is because their passwords do not expire (well, they shouldn't anyway).
Your local password policy may conflict with the domain policy. Check to make sure if this is the problem.

Good Luck !

A long shot, but check the licensing on your server.
If you see alot of license events in the Event log, that may be the cause.
Just have a look.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Thanks for the assistance (MARCS41 and RTICHNOR) but I still have the same issue. I checked the event log it shows: ...successfully established a connection to RAC Connection using the device RACPORT.

8 secs later- ...the connection to RAC Connection made by user PPPAcount using RACPORT was disconnected.

password changes/accounts have not expired but Remote users can't access server for the passwrd prompt.

Once again thx for tha help.

Have come accross this problem and it is probably to do with permissions, useaccess rights.

If you change a password while the user is logged in then the same box will appear because the user has not authenticated with the correct to minute password..

It may be another area you could look at.

One of the sites I support began having the same problem with outlook (exchange 2000) prompting for username, password, and domain. This is only happening on the win98 machines, and also their network logon isn't being processed. I reset passwords, and removed Exchange and readded it on the client PC. This worked on 3 of them however one PC still wont logon. This tells me that the Win98 machine isn't communicating with the server propely to maintain authentication because in some cases they would logon to the domain then e-mail, but after a time the e-mail would ask for credentials. So what wouls cause Win98 to lose it's ability to provide credentials to the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back