Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft offers free anti-virus program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read so far, this is only a removal tool, and not a live scanner...that's the one they'll charge for!

Article said:
Microsoft purchased a Romanian antivirus firm, GeCAD Software Srl., for an undisclosed amount in 2003. Industry rivals expect Microsoft’s formal entry into the market as early as the spring.
Normal mode of MS expansion.

Article said:
“We will have a stand-alone antivirus product that is one of the things you can buy from Microsoft, but we’re not announcing anything today,” said Rich Kaplan, vice president for Microsoft’s security business and technology unit.
Gald they'er not announcing it yet.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Antivirus vendors have warned investors about the fallout as Microsoft enters the market. McAfee, for example, said in its most recent annual report that its own products could become "obsolete and unmarketable" if Microsoft were to include antivirus protection in Windows software.

Regards,
Mike

"Don’t get suckered in by the comments – they can be terribly misleading. Debug
only code. – Dave Storer."

... ah, let me get this right:
We've spent years whining that Microsoft didn't include proper anti-virus protection in their operating system? Now there's a vague whiff in the air that they might include/sell it in the future, and they're stuck with a choice:
(1) Include it in windows as part of OS-cost, and we'll all moan that it's unfair competition and they shouldn't bundle their antivirus software with their operating system, but should allow us choice.
(2) Sell it as a separate product, and we'll all moan that security should be a basic feature of an operating system, and not something for which we have to pay extra.
And do I hear sceptics already suggesting that Microsoft might even leave windows deliberately susceptible so they can sell the anti-virus stuff? Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for the microsoft-bashers.

lionelhill,

That just about sums it up. People see what they want to see and spin can be applied to anything... removing viruses is a bad thing and even if it's not, we know you have something bad planned so we just want you to know that we know what we think you're up to. Bad M$, Bad M$!!

I for one applaud this move by Microsoft and am glad to see more companies offer a technological solution to this technological problem, and I believe having Microsoft bring it's considerable resources to bear on this will have a positive effect.

boyd.gif

To quote an unknown internet user:

"You're forgetting the software consultants guiding principle.

There's more money to be made out of prolonging the problem than solving it."

Alex

I am glad to see that MS is taking some responsibility for all the gaping holes its products have. Releasing an anti-spyware tool is one step towards the day where MS will finally give us a truly secure product by default (I'm a dreamer, so sue me).
That other security vendors are whining is hardly a surprise, what with the clout of the MS gorilla, they are rightly frightened. Maybe that will encourage them to widely adopt heuristics-based analysis, the only method that can actually protect against as-yet-unseen viruses, instead of insisting on the signature-check method, which can only protect after the fact.
Even though MS is a monopoly, there is such thing as competition. In this case, it brings two benefits : MS coming closer to taking responsibility for security, and other security firms being shaken out of their complacency.

By the way, I tried the beta, and it found six thingies to remove. And I thought Ad-Aware and Spy Sweeper had found everything !

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back