Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bidder offers alternate solution 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
US
I’m comparing bids from four different vendors for a project that I estimated would cost between $225K and $300K. The specifics aren’t relevant, but I wondered if I could get anyone’s take on a scenario.

The requirements were for X, all four vendors submitted pricing for X.

Vendor 4 was the only one to ask “have you considered doing Y instead of X? It would be cheaper now, cheaper over time, better altogether, and in fact we recommend it.” (Y and X are related…call it Fuji apples vs. Granny Smiths, instead of apples vs. oranges). I said I would be open to looking at pricing for Y, even though I didn’t ask for that specific solution, and in fact wasn't sure it was a realistic option. The other vendors are all capable of offering Y, but they never suggested it.

Assuming Y is in fact a viable solution - I'm still researching this on my own - and assuming I would be fine with moving forward with the vendor who offered it (this is not a formal RFP process), should I give the other three vendors the opportunity to offer pricing for the Y solution? The other three vendors are also all reputable companies I would feel confident about working with.

But I’m not sure how I feel about proposing a a new potential solution to the other three vendors; they should be the ones to propose the solution to me. I have made it clear to all the vendors that if they have other ideas on how to go about this project, other than our X requirement, I am open to listening to them. Still, none of the other three have proposed Y.

Again, if Y is viable it will be much cheaper than X, and will be less expensive for me as a customer to maintain and support over the years. Obviously, this means a smaller sale for the vendor, and less maintenance and support revenue for them in the future. Again, the question: should I offer the other vendors an opportunity to offer pricing on a Y solution?

Thoughts?

MadMichael:

The funniest part of that story is the fact that the bird was faster at data transfer than the local aDSL line. :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

If I am sending out a RFP for a new server, I already know the specifications.
You've just managed to put your finger on the difference between a Request for Proposal (RFP) and a Request for Quote (RFQ). Your new server would be procured through an RFQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back