Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MG 1010 Dual Power Alarm Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevoipster1

Instructor
May 7, 2015
US
Our Site CS1K Campus, (7.67) has 1010 Chassis at various physical locations. We have our alarms monitored by our Vendor ( Which works very well) . All 1010 Chassis have dual power . Last week, we lost a Power Supply in one of our 1010 Chassis. No Alarm Event Occurred ~ The MGU within the Chassis indicated that the Power Supply had failed ( Red Lamp) , Once again, no Alarm event was produced ~ . So , as a test, I have recreated the event by unplugging commercial power to each the Primary , and Secondary Power Supplies ( with the other side plugged in to maintain power to the chassis)~ No Alarm Events were produced outside of the Red Power Alarm that was physically Present by "Looking" at the MGU in the chassis ~ So this wouldn't be so bad if all the chassis were in the same physical location, but in my Network they are not > Currently , I have (0) way of knowing , without physically visiting each chassis, to know if I have redundant Power working ?????
So, for all of you that have 1010 Chassis in your network ? Do You get Power Alarms if you loose a Power Supply? Might Want to Check ?

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

So are these 1010 Chassis Survivable Media Gateways or are they stand alone PBX's tied together with trunks? Regardless each 1010 Chassis would need to be monitored individually with a local tty port.

Ok ~ So a little more detail ~ The 1010 Chassis are not SMG"S ~ they just have Media gateways in them. We do have several SMG'S in the Network , but the vast majority (18) 1010 Chassis just have Media Gateways at remote closets ~ I am having a difficult time believing that every 1010 Chassis is going to need a TTY output for a power alarm ? I can say also, if I get a short on a digital phone in one of the remote chassis , it IS reported .

Thanks

The 1010 cabinet will never give a power alarm without a CPU present. Just the way it is. You get the alarm on a digital port because it is connected back to the main CPU just like a local digital port. However, to receive a power alarm, the system has to have a CPU. There may be some alarm contacts in the 1010 chassis you could use, but other than that, you are out of luck.

Wow, thanks for the input KCFLHRC ~ We are thinking that we need to take this up with Avaya as a design flaw ~ The "Common" sense approach is if you loose a power supply in a dual Power cabinet, it should be reported ~ regardless if you have a CPU or not

Thank s

The CPU in all CS1000E systems is what interprets and reports alarms. When you just have a media gateway hanging out there in a remote building there is no intellegence in that cabiner, ie, No CPU. The MGC card has no idea there was a fault because it never lost power. But the MGC card does talk to the CPU and that's why you see errors on digital sets. But the power supply thing is a whole other issue. Design flaw? Maybe. But some would argue those cabinets should have been SMG's, then you would not have an issue because there would be a local intellegence.

Ok , but in one case we have a site that has (3) 1010 Chassis , (1) chassis has a Survivable CPU ( NTDW59BAE6 ) CP- MG ,and (2) chassis with standard MGC'S (NTDW 98'S W/ NTDW 78 daughterboards ~ Other sites also have Multiple chassis's with (1) chassis holding the Survivable CPU , and the other chassis having the MGC

Main Site - (10) 1010 Chassis Dual Cores
Remote 1 - (3) 1010 Chassis (1) w CPU
Remote 2 - (2) 1010 Chassis (1) w CPU
Remote 3 - (2) 1010 Chassis (1) w CPU

It Goes on, but for this item I think this gives a good idea ~ We Do get a "Visible" power alarm on the MGU Card in the chassis ~ That's really why I think there should be some type of "Report" generated ~

Just curious also as to how Others with Campus type 1010 chassis networks are dealing with this

Thanks

The sites with CPU's will obviously give you alarm indications over a local tty port. But the sites without CPU's there is nothing there to read an alarm even though you get a visual power alarm. I do not have any sites I maintain like your configuration. I have one similar but it is a Main site CS1K with a Survivable Media Gateway at a Disaster Site. Everything else I have is large single site installs.

You can get the alarms from remote cabinets from SNMP traps

From page 1923 of NN43001-712
Software Input Output Reference —
System Messages
Avaya Communication Server 1000 Release 7.6

Standard 06.03 June 2014

MGC may also issue VGW system messages.
The message title in SNMP trap contains a digit after the MGC prefix, that corresponds to a severity level. The security levels are listed below:
• 1 - Critical
• 2 - Major
• 3 - Minor
• 4 - Info
• 5 - Cleared
For example, if severity of the alarm is Major, the message title in SNMP trap will be MGC2XXX.
Messages related to MG1010 are sent only via SNMP traps; these messages (MGC0019-MGC0030) are not printed on MGC TTY and are not stored in the
report logs.

Thus
MGC0020 cleared becomes MGC5020
MGC0021 major becomes MGC2021
MGC0022 cleared becomes MGC5022
MGC0023 major becomes MGC2023
MGC0024 cleared becomes MGC5024
MGC0025 major becomes MGC2025
MGC0026 cleared becomes MGC5026
MGC0027 warning (actually Major) becomes MGC2027
MGC0028 cleared becomes MGC5028
MGC0029 major becomes MGC2029