Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

message waiting on analogue phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragj195

Technical User
Feb 11, 2003
GB
Hi

I'm setting up an external analogue voicemail system with a serial connection to the SMDI output from the MD110. Message lights on digital handsets work fine by sending an MW ON event through the serial port to the MD110. My problem is with analgoue phones with no message waiting lights. Is it possible to send an event string to the MD110 that would either break the dial tone or tinker/chirp the phone. At the moment the voicemail system is having to manually ring the handsets to signifiy message waiting. However, I heard that the MD110 does have options progamming options to allow for other ways of notifying analogue handsets.

Thanks for any response.

Well the latest ELU30 board can notify the new analog set(with MEW lamp) by voltage ramp or polarity reversal. But if you are using old ELU boards, this means you will just accept what parnum=88 will give you. Some market can provide broken dial tone when you lift the handset but if you dont have it, this means you will only one option, to use MEW pling signal(short burst of ring) in every 15 minutes(changable by ASPAC).

Thanks, the old VM system used to give a short burst of ring that would be recognisable as message waiting but the new voicemail system doesn;t do it. Any chance you know what the event string should be that needs to be sent to the MD110 through the event port. I'm going to try the same string that's sent to digital extensions and see if the MD110 accepts this.

RAGJ195, it's my undersatnding that it is the MD110 and not the voicemail that provides the "tinkle" when a message is waiting. i.e. the Voicemail tells the MD110 that there is a Message Waiting for Extension xxxx, the MD110 then marks MWI for that extension. This only then cleared when a signal is received from the Voicemail to the MD110, or feature code (which escapes me).

Point is, if you do a SUSIP on an analogue phone and it shows message waiting, then dependant on the system parameters, it should tinle every 15 minutes regardless of the Voicemails system.

Okay thanks. What i need to know is how the VM tells the MD110 to set message waiting indication. Is it the same command that's sent for digital handsets. Which at the moment is an SMDI MW ON event sent out of the VM serial port to the MD110. If it can be done using DTMF dones through one of the analogue voicemail ports then even better.

ragj195, there should be a voicemail integration. This means the voice mail machine's serial port is connected to MD110 ICU port or via NIU. Or we call it interception computer. All activities between MD and voicemail will be in this integration. Example when a new message is left in the mail box, the the voicemail will send STX 06 xxxx to MD. Then MD will turn on MEW key or send pling to the extension. The voicemail is not the one who is sending the pling or turn-on MEW, its the MD doing it, but the command will come from the voicemail via STX message.

All of the integration works. As I said in the initial post MW lights on digital handsets work fine. The only problem is with the analogue ones as we were told that they had to be phyically rang by the voicemail system through one of the analogue voicemail ports which now seems silly if the same command that the VM sends to the MD for MW On to digital extensions can be sent to the MD to give a pling on the analogue. If what you're saying is that STX 06 xxxx is the MW ON code thats needs to be sent to the PABX for MW ON for either digital or analgoue handsets then I'm in luck. I just need to tell the VM system to stop ringing the dam phones and just send the command that it sends for mailboxes with digital phones.

Yes, tell them. Also because if they manually ring the analog, this means the ring signal is longer too. Its like someone calls and hang up. Unlike the pling from MD, its very short ring signal and the user will distinguish if this is a MEW.

Okay thanks everyone. All sorted. I got the voicemail system to send the same MW event to the MD110 as it does for mailboxes with digital phones. The analogues now pling every five minutes to signal message waiting and the voicemail is free to answer alot more calls as it's no longer having to ring the analogues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back