Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail 12 - System Status "Loading"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDantalion

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2013
HN
[ul]
Hello everybody. We are currently down on Voice Mail and Thrudial services due to this issue. The System status keeps showing as loading and never starts up. The Voice Channels connected to the SMDI link start up as loading too, but they never go to InSv. If I run OOService tests on the ports, they eventually show as faulty, all of them. We have three voice cards, and it is difficult to believe all three went bad simultaneously. Yet we have replaced the voice cards and CPU card to no avail. Has anybody observed this kind of behaviour in the past? Any leads of what might be wrong?

Thank you very much.
[li][/li]
[/ul]

Gentlemen.
Thanks for replying. I have been reading posts about checking the AML stat, but I am unsure where do I access that? Sorry for my ignorance, but we have had that system alone and operating properly for several years until now, so I am unfamiliar with the advanced troubleshooting methods for this system. I can access the TOOLS menu and the regular admin menu, but I am unsure where do I make the STAT AML query?

Do you know what type of Meridian Mail you have? Is it inside an Opt. 11 Cabinet?

When you say log into the PBX, do you mean the Meridian Mail System? The PBX side of us is a Nortel SL100 and we have it connected to the Meridian Mail through a SMDI link and LEN's. I tried to find any information about the Opt we have, but it does not seem to be written anywhere. Other than the terminal in which we generally program voice mail accounts and Thrudial services, there is nothing else in which we can log in.

I see, your connection method is a rare one. I believe I would have someone start checking the SMDI link and see if it is operational in the SL100. I'm no SL100 Tech but I'm guessing there is a link problem between the 2. Could be the SMDI link or the LEN's you are connected to for your voice ports.

Thank you for your inputs.
From the SL-100 side I already did a bunch of things. The SMDI link shows as transferring and the LEN's show ok also. I even did a full erasing and reprogramming of the SMDI and LEN services at the SL-100 PBX, but it did not help. Kind of frustrating. We have rebooted the MM12 several times, but no luck. Still system shows as loading.

Have you checked the SEER Messages in the Meridian Mail? Maybe that will point you in the right direction. Do you have VP8 and VP4 cards along with an MMP40?

You didn't mention if you replaced the Utility Card or not

We do not seem to have a utility card. We do have however a RSM card. Our basic setup is the following:
MMP40, 3 GPS's, and the RSM. We have not tried replacing the RSM card. We currently do not have spares for that, but from your experience, do you believe that card could be the problem, or it probably does not have anything to do with this?

From what I just read the RSM Card does supply the SMDI Link to the DMS/SL100

Yes Sir. That's why I was not even considering that as being the problem. I just noticed a link status on the MM12 as InSvRedAlarm, but I have not been able to track the specifics. The SEER's mostly show informational issues with the DSP's not communicating, but I think that is because the link is unable to establish comms with my SL-100. Again the SMDI at the SL-100 shows as transferring. I disabled and re-enabled the IOC (which handles the SMDI) at the SL-100 several times, but nothing happens. We checked the cooper connections and they seem to be fine.

Have you done these steps on the SL100 ?

Starting up the link
(for 1X67FA card only)
To start up the link, follow these steps.
Step Action
1 Put the IOC card into service by entering the following
commands:
a. MAPCI
b. MTC
c. IOD
d. IOC c (where c is the circuit number, for example, 0)
e. CARD n (where n is the card number, for example, 5)
f. RTS
2 Once the IOC card has been put into service, enter the
following commands to put the link into transferring state:
a. LNKUTIL
b. DEVCON termdes (where termdes is the device name
entered in table TERMDEV)
c. DEVSMDILNK
d. START termdes SMDIDATA
e. SMDICON termdes
3 Once the datalink has been set up, the UCD lines (agents)
must be put into service. Enter the following commands for
each agent:
a. MAPCI
b. MTC
c. LNS
d. LTP
e. 2D dn (where dn is the UCD agent’s DN)
f. RTS

More info here

GSP faulty after
diagnostics run
Note: Do not remove the GSP card before powering down the
node containing the card you are removing. Refer to the
Meridian Mail System Administration Guide
(NTP 555-7051-307 or 555-7051-308) for instructions on
powering down the node.
Note: This procedure should be performed with the lines inservice
and during off-hours. Repeat these steps for each
affected card—do not restart all the cards at once.
Step Action
1 Verify the switch settings on the card. Refer to Chapter 5 of this
manual for details on GSP card switch settings.
2 Remove the 9-pin voice cables from the front of the affected
GSP card.
3 Wait for the PBX/DMS to release the permanent lockout
condition from the lines.
4 Plug the voice cables back into the front of the affected GSP
card.
5 Run the diagnostics for the card immediately after reinserting
the cables.
6 If the diagnostics pass, reenable the card. If the diagnostics fail,
check the SEERs and ensure that the voice lines are correctly
configured for ground start operation and have the correct
polarity between Tip (positive) and Ring (negative) when offhook

Thank you very much. However, we have a 1x89 configuration setup for our SMDI. So the procedures are kind of similar but not the same. I already did that procedure a couple of times for our SMDI to no avail. I am currently investigating if for our configuration the RSM card is something which could affect the SMDI comms. Thanks again for your help.

I know very little about SL100, just some documentation I found in the NTP's. Good luck, definitely sounds like some kind of link problem between the 2.

If all the M-Mail cards are operating correctly connected to
a SL-100 and the M-Mail was down or has been reloaded each LEN
will not connect to the M-Mail even thou the status shows IDLE.
If each number is called, it will just ring. You can fix this by
outing the SMDI option for each LEN and reinstalling the option.
This will reset each LEN assigned to the SMDI link. Insure that
each LEN option matchs the M-Mail DSP port. This should not be a
problem if the M-Mail was operating before the problem. Just QLEN
before removing the SMDI option then reinstall the option.
The option should be something like:

SMDI XXXXX N
XXX = CLLI of SMDI link
NN = SMDI link number (M-Mail DSP #)

@KCFLHRC Thank you very much for your inputs. I appreciate them.

@rcsweet
Thanks. I tried that but the ports on the meridian show as faulty. Initially, when rebooting the MM12 they show as loading, but then they go to Faulty. Sometimes they never start at loading but just show as faulty inmediately after a reboot.
I also have tried resetting the SMDI by deleting programming and reprogramming the UCD group and its members. That used to clear faults in the past, but not this time, unfortunately.
Also bothers me the fact that the system shows as loading permanently and never actually loads. Thanks to my MM12, we have to have personnel 24/7 since the thrudial is down... you might guess everybody is really happy with me right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back