Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meridian Mail 12 - System Status "Loading"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDantalion

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2013
HN
[ul]
Hello everybody. We are currently down on Voice Mail and Thrudial services due to this issue. The System status keeps showing as loading and never starts up. The Voice Channels connected to the SMDI link start up as loading too, but they never go to InSv. If I run OOService tests on the ports, they eventually show as faulty, all of them. We have three voice cards, and it is difficult to believe all three went bad simultaneously. Yet we have replaced the voice cards and CPU card to no avail. Has anybody observed this kind of behaviour in the past? Any leads of what might be wrong?

Thank you very much.
[li][/li]
[/ul]

I understand that you have the Meridian Mail system on it's own cube. Is the backup tape inserted in the tape drive as I had problems once getting a mail system to function after an outage and I had to remove the backup tape before powering it up.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

@firebirdscrambler I believe that's the case, the meridian mail node is standalone in a small cabinet. There is no tape inserted on the tape drive slot at all. I am trying to figure out what hardware and cards are related to the SMDI link connectivity, since I think that is key to resolve my issue.

Do you have this configuration?

Method 24-1901 "Commissioning of NT1X89 Card for SMDI Link

Are you using a Modem for the SMDI Link? If so have you checked that it is powered on and functioning?

Have you replaced this card?

Each node of the MSM is built around a 68K (NTGX05AA) Controller
card.

It also appears that there is a channel bank between the SL100 and the MSM, is it functioning?

@KCFLHRC Yes, the NT1x89 card for SMDI link corresponds to our configuration. However, I traced the link and there has never been a channel bank between the SMDI and the MSM. No modem between them either. It is just a four wire cable going from the MM12 to the back of the Sl-100 cabinet where the NT1x89 card is at.

The channel bank is probably for remote configuration. Can you get to the System Status and Maintenance Screen and check and see if everything looks up?

System Status and Maintenance
1 System Status
2 Node Status
3 Card Status
4 DSP Port Status
5 T1 Link Status
6 T1 Channel Status
7 SMDI Link Status
8 MSM Cross Reference Table
9 Disk Maintence
10 System Event and Error Reports

Status