Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging Licenses into a single dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipind

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2009
KE
I have several sites. At one site I have mobility licenses that was issued against a USB dongle. I have the license key and the dongle.
At another site, I have a serial dongle, which has VM Pro licenses.

I have spoken to a local BP (in Kenya) about merging the licenses to one dongle but they tell me this is NOT POSSIBLE. I was thinking I could get Avaya to merge my licenses to one dongle so that I can return one of them.

Is it true that this never happens?

Yes you can merge licenses, you need to have it done through a BP though. You're BP doesn't want to, or doesn't know how to do it.

You BP needs to sell you a new Dongle or Feature key, and swap licences from the old dongles onto the new one.

The old dongles/feature keys need to be sent to AVAYA in 10 work days or so.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

You don't have to have a new 3rd dongle to transfer licenses to. Just pick the dongle you want to keep and have the licenses from the other dongle transferred to it. The old dongle HAS to be returned to Avaya. Any BP can take care of this for you.
I hope that this helps.

Stephen E. Bradford
LANstar Technologies, Inc.

Just make sure you make a copy of the licenses already on the dongle you're keeping before you move the other licenses to it. I've see in the past where it deletes the other licenses from view in ADI, and you won't have an easy way to get them back.

You are serious they cannot be merged into one of the dongles I already have? Must the BP sell me a new dongle?

Actually, now that we're talking about dongles, I have in my possession so many of them.. about 5, some of which I don't even know what they came with. The guys who were running the network previously are not willing to say what these dongles came with.
Is there a way to find what a dongle contains?
Is it right to continue to keep these dongles when I actually don't know what to do with them or should I return them to Avaya?

You can find out what's on them with the aid of a BP, I think what you can see as a BP is regionalised i.e EMEA, North America etc (I have never attemted to lookup another regions). Do Not send them back to Avaya, you have paid for both the dongle and the licences against them they are yours :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Post one of the dongle numbers and I'll see if I can tell you what's on there, don't worry nobody can do anything with the information unless they physically have your dongle :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

As long as you manage to find out what is already on there and take a note/copy of the numbers it doesn't matter if they do overwrite the existing licences. As when you add your copy of the original number back in it will still be valid :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

This is how it works.

If you swap then the old dongle must be send back to Avaya.
You must only swap to an empty dongle, i will explain why.

You can not swap 1 license to dongle A and swap 1 license to dongle B (from the same dongle)

You can swap form two dongles to one new BUT the licenses that where already on the dongle will be gone in ADI (license site)
They are still on the dongle but if you need a printout from ADI they are gone!!!
IT is your own responsibility to keep them somewhere save for when you loose the license out of the ipoffice.

That is why the docs state that you first do the swap and then buy new licenses on to the same dongle.

So from 1 dongle to 2 dongles -> NO
From 2 dongles to 1 dongle -> YES but you will only see the last dongle licenses in ADI

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

A yard full of tards

That's what I said, you can do it but you need to keep the old codes, I don't think he wants to go 1 to 2 dongles or was that bonus info :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

tlpeter,
I will have to disagree. I have probably done 100+ license swaps and you can swap from 1 to 1, 1 to 2, 1 to 3, etc. as well as 2 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. Of course it can't hurt to have documentation of the original licenses (Avaya can make mistakes) but I have never had a problem. And dongles that licenses are transferred FROM will have to be returned to Avaya.
It really isn't as cryptic as it sounds.
I hope this helps.

Stephen E. Bradford
LANstar Technologies, Inc.

@amriddle, here is a list of the dongles I have in my possession:

1. Avaya ID: 700293095, Serial Number: 4738432
2. Avaya ID: 700293095, Serial Number: 4738449
3. Avaya ID: 700293095, Serial Number: 4710702
4. Avaya ID: 700261506, Serial Number: 4521594
5. Avaya ID: 700261506, Serial Number: 4521588

Previous IT guys have made me keep these keys without knowing what licenses they hold. Is there a process of getting the licenses associated with them, if any, re-issued by Avaya?

Only 4710702 has licences.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

All the dongles except below = Nothing

471072 as follows:

174957 1 IPENDPOINT idQtklLzvD0g21uu2p1e6UYcm3cbv@LK
IPO LIC IP ENDPOINT RFA 5 LIC:CU

That's it :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

You mean 4710702, right??

So this is what I will need to get migrated to the dongle I use for VM Pro license.

My BizPartner called today to tell me that the license swap to another dongle is possible, and that it will take not more than two weeks, but he tells me there is a cost to it, which he does not specify.

Does Avaya charge for the service??

Amriddle meant 4710702. Two weeks???? Better get a different AVAYA partner who knows what he doing.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

We only have one Avaya Partner in Kenya! So I am stuck with them. And the outfit is run by expats from India:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back