Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo field problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joewillerols

Programmer
Dec 29, 2020
US
I created MEMO.DBF with just one field called MEMO which is a memo field. I did an APPEND BLANK to create one record. In MEMO.PRG, I have the following:

CLEAR
USE MEMO
@ 0,0 say "Memo:
@ 0,6 get MEMO
read
close all

This works fine as it displays
Memo: MEMO
with the cursor blinking under the M in the MEMO field waiting for me to do something.
Depending on the key that I press or key combo such as CTRL-PGDN, either the cursor sits there or exits to the Dot Prompt.

I installed and ran the dbase iii+ Tutorial. All of it is in ASSIST mode. It showed me how I can use Ctrl-PgDn to open the MEMO field for editing and then use Ctrl-PgUp to save. This works just fine. But when I try to do this running MEMO.PRG, the MEMO will no open up for editing.

How do I get a MEMO fleld to work inside a program?

Thanks,
Joe

Phil,

Sorry about that. I forgot to say.

I'm using dBase iii+.

Joe

Hi Joe
Upto Dbase III plus, memo fields were not easy to access for inputting to.
Move the cursor until it reaches the memo field, then press the combination of CTRL and PgDown keys. The screen should clear and the Dbase word processor appear at the top. You are now in that word processing environment and shoule be able to edit etc.
The above is purely from my own memory. I remember that upto Dbase III plus we tried NOT to use memo fields. It was all made easier in Dbase IV.

I hope this helps, let me know what results you get.

Phil T.

Phil,

I did try the Ctrl-PGDN key combo. I get sent back to the Dot Prompt. What I have been doing is using several Character fields of 74 characters. This at least gives the user some space to do free form text.

I guess I'll go track down dBase IV and give it a try.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi,
Yes, that is what we would do until the later versions appeared.
You could try ebay for a copy of Dbase IV, I have seen it advertised on the odd occasion.
After some of the quirks in the old Dbase programs I started to use Foxpro which I am still doing today.

Phil T.

Greetings all involved,

I'm have curious question:
In my opinion - dbaSE IV and FoxPro for DOS are nowadays available free for downloading - see:

But what about the latest Visual FoxPro version from Microsoft?
Is it available anywhere to download for free or not?

I've not seen these free downloads, but worth a try if still available.
Latest FoxPro is still available but not free.

Phil T.

I've known about winworldpc for years. That's where I went to get dBase iii+ and 4. I installed 4 and still had problems with the memo field. That's okay. It would have been easier but I'll stick with what I have been doing. See below. My way is not as elegant but it gets the job done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
@ 2,2 say "Question asked here."
@ 3,2 say "■ " + ANSWER1
@ 4,2 say "■ " + ANSWER2
@ 5,2 say "■ " + ANSWER3

@ 24,0 say "You have three lines to answer. There is no word wrap."
@ 3,2 get ANSWER1
read
@ 4,2 get ANSWER2
read
@ 5,2 get ANSWER3
read
-----------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, "It's not elegant but it gets the job done."

Joe

Hi Joe,
In the long run you will be better off with Visual FoxPro, even one of the older versions. Language is the same as dBase but Foxpro Updates advanced much quicker.

Phil T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back