Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Medpro (2602) duplication and load balancing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker570

Vendor
May 29, 2008
US
I have a customer who is changing their 2 2302 medpros for 2 2602 medpros and wants to set up medpro duplication and load balancing. They are running CM 3.1.4 and only have 2 medpro cards in the system. My understanding is that you can have either duplication or load balancing but you cannot have both. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Stryker570

Some days you just don't feel like slaying dragons!

You cannot install (2) TN2602's in 1 Port network, without having them use duplication, and I think that was not available until CM 5 or so, so I don't think you will be able to use both of them in a CM 3 system.

The issue is, there are not enough time slots (only 440 available per port network), and the TN2602 Media Processor has 320 channels.

They will probably have to upgrade to a newer version of CM, to be able to put both of them in 1 port network, and set them up for duplication.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

So, it wont work in a 3.14. If they upgrade to 5.2 will BOTH the duplication and load balancing work?

Sorry to hijack this thread have a customer looking for the same info.

-F

found a PCN, I guess the Bearer Duplication works since CM 3.1
you just need V21 or newer firmware.

at least I found out that I was giving you bad info.

I have never heard of "load balancing", with the TN2602AP, in the newer loads of CM (CM 5), it supports 320 channels without a special license (which may be needed on the older loads), so it really can't load balance, there are simply not enough TDM slots. The Duplication works well though, so there's probably no need for anything else.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

From the IP Telephony Implementation Guide page Compas ID 95180:

"A single port network can have up to two TN2602AP circuit packs only. As result, the port network can have either two duplicated TN2602AP circuit packs or two load balancing TN2602AP circuit packs, but not both a duplicated pair and a load-balancing pair. However, in a Communication Manager configuration, some port networks can have a duplicated pair of TN2602AP circuit packs and other port networks can have a load-balancing pair of TN2602AP circuit packs and some port networks can also have single or no TN2602AP circuit packs."

From the IP Telephony Implementation Guide page Compas ID 95180

And this would cover what version(s) of CM??

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Thanks guys, I figured it out back in june. You can have one or the other but not both. The confusion arose from the customer stating that an Avaya design engineer told him it was possible. I should know better than to take a customer at his word for things like this.

Stryker570

Some days you just don't feel like slaying dragons!

The "IP Telephony Implementation Guide" has not been updated since CM 3.1. For later versions of CM, see "Administering Network Connectivity on Avaya Communication Manager". In several places it states "load-balancing or duplicated TN2602AP circuit packs".

So...duplication/load balancing available since CM 3.1...and only one or the other, not both. If a board is in duplication mode, it is ready to take over...which would mean it is not processing. Load balancing and duplication are mutually exclusive...no matter what version of CM you are running.

Thanks for posting that. It may help others if they run across this post.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back