Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Splash-Screen Freezing at Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

feplus

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2004
US
At least 3 users have this problem, the McAfee splash screen freezes and the vshwin32.exe is using 99% of the cpu. This occurs just after user logon and is only temporarily fixable by killing exiting the mcafee virusScan and restarting it from Programs. This happens on WinXP pro and Win2k. Any ideas?

I've reinstalled McAfee VirusScan 4.5.1 on these machines to no avail. It doesn't matter what engine or dat file is in use, old or new, the problem persists. The users claim nothing new has been installed, the only similarity between all three is the presence of Palm Desktop Sync software, but uninstalling this didn't stop the problem. I don't see any rogue services or programs starting up from the registry.

Has anyone else had this problem recently? Any help is appreciated

I installed McAfee on a 2K Server machine, and it did the exact same thing. I didn't do another search on here, but I did find a resource on here that basically said that McAfee will not work on it.

When I installed it on my machine, the system did the exact same thing. I couldn't delete the damned program, turn the service off, or anything. I had to format, reinstall, and start from square one. Now, this was just my home network, but man... It was a killer getting everything back to 100%.

GOD I love the smell of NOS in the morning.

Feplus,

Is your McAfee virus scan 4.5.1 at Service Pack1?

Camarol,

If you installed MCAFEE virus scan 4.5 on your server, this is not a server product, it is a client product. For the servers you need a product called McAfee Enterprise Virus Scan. There may be server version of 4.5 but i'm guessing you installed the client version.

zoeythecat,

No I didn't install it on the server, but thanks for asking. We have around 40 or so computers, notebooks and desktops. About 4 users have this problem. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the Palm Synchronization software they use though - since no other users are having problems with McAfee starting up. I'll keep you updated.

We had the same problem on many desktop machines running XP or 2000pro. We finally removed Mcafee from all machines. Had to go into the registry and remove all instances of Mcafee. Now all is back to normal. Good luck.

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back