Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

max IP phones on basic bcm450 6.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankblan

Vendor
Jun 17, 2010
CA
I know you can only have 100 sets if you don't put in the extra ms card.

I can't find anywhere a max capacity for IP sets; I currently have 66 working sets, and a GASM and a 4x16 combo MBM, for a potential max of 90 sets, but only 4-5 digital sets used. I have 103 licences for IP phones (don't ask).

I have a couple of DNs available for IP sets, yet when I try to register a new one, I get a "invalid DN" prompt.

Is there a way to reallocate ressources or do I have to add the capacity card, assuming of course that it is a ressource thing.

Geez, I miss the 4.0 and the 3/5 split!!

W/ the cec card you can have a maximum of 300 sets (digital and ip).

Your problem isn't capacity, it's configured IP set DNs. Go to Telephone Resources > IP sets and add some unused DNs there. Doesn't matter what you use as long as they aren't used somewhere else. You can then change them to any DN later, even if the DN shows as an unused digital set or Application DN.

Thanks geek; I found that out later on my own, but what I didn't know, and still don't is wether you can do it with the system already started, in another range as you said, without affecting the sets already there. It shouldn't, as the guide mentions you can have IP and apps ranges that are not consecutive, as opposed to VOIP trunks

I was afraid it would do the same as using the disconfigure button on a DSM, for instance.

Can you confirm I can do it live without affecting my existing ip sets before I jump blind-folded?

Thanks again.

I haven't tried the non-consec range but I have done the deconfigure - reconfigure action with a larger range in a working system with no issues. I can lab it up later but it will be a few days before I get back to the office.

Sorry if this sidetracks the thread at all but...

Can you remotely connect the phone through VPN as a client? i have connected a remote ip phone to a BCM50 where their is a VPN connection between the 2 routers of the sites... can you do this with a VPN connection strictly between ip phone and on-site router?

can you do this with most VPN routers?

HI Geek;

I'm trying it tonite on site at the customer; will let you know how it went, but I'm 80% confident.

Jamaster, if your remote site is in dhcp, just plug it in. To make sure that it doesn't search in the wrong spot, just set the S1 and S2 manually, since the dhcp server and bcm will be in different subnets.

The 450 doesn't have a built-in router like the 50, 200, and 400 so you would need an external vpn device like the BSR222 or Contivity. Some newer IP phones can set up a tunnel directly to the BSR or Contivity but most require a VPN device on each end to set up the tunnel. If you're going to use two external devices to create the VPN then the vendor doesn't matter. I have several sites with Nortel IP phones working over tunnels set up on Cisco ASAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back