Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapisp32 hogs CPU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunGuy

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
I have a problem when I start Outlook 97 on NT 4.0 SP 6, it starts both OUTLOOK.EXE and MAPISP32.EXE, but when I check for email OR try to shut down Outlook, MAPISP32 starts running (its clock starts ticking in Task Manager) and CPU use goes to 100%. I can shut it down with Task Manager, but the system acts weird after that, and when I try to do a shut down or restart, it gives me a couple messages about ThorConnWndClass and WMS Idle cannot be shut down and do I want them to shut down? No, nothing new has been installed or nothing like that. This started happening out of the blue on an otherwise stable workstation. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook and Office with no change in results. Any ideas why MAPISP32 is screwing up like this?

I am having the same problem, but have not been able to find a solution. Any luck on your end?

What I did to supposedly fix it was to open Outlook, then, before you do anything else, send a test message to someone. That was it. When I did that it seemed to kick something loose and it has been working since. This did not seem to be a case of something stuck in the Outbox, since nothing was there, but simply sending a message did something. I am thinking that when I checked for messages is when it screwed up, and sending a message somehow set it straight. The good thing is that it was repeatable, since the same fix worked on two other machines with the same symptoms.

Hi there FUNGUY. Thanks for the reply. I just read your post. I tried your solution to no avail. It turned out that my first incoming message from my mailbox on the server that I tried to retrieve that morning had something wrong with it and after having the MIS guy move it out of my mailbox, my other email started to be downloaded to me as normal. Funny thing was that he moved it to his mailbox on the server and then his CPU pegged too. SO it seems that the msg was the problem. Thanks again!

I'm having the same problem but running on 95 SE. It's funny how we all seem to be having a problem that started on April 30th 2001 isn't it. Could this be a virus?

I doubt it is a virus. For me, it has been intermittent. My posting was April 2, and had been working on it for at least a couple days before that on my machine -- not to mention the other machines that had the problem for some time before that.

I'm having a similar problem, but it only started after I chose to sync my folders offline. I'm running W2K and Oulook 2K. After a while running Outlook, I notice that the HD is being accessed a lot (every sec), and it's all kind'a slow. I can close Outlook, but if I choose to shut down the system I get a dialog saying that "WMS Idle" is not willing to terminate on its own - so W2K shuts it down by force. Hope it helps... me!

Ive been having the same problem - Outlook Express is fine but Outlook 97 hangs (well MAPI Spooler does anyway) It didnt seem to happen for any particular reason - I tried a reinstall and I think it may be a particular type of email that is waiting to get downloaded which causes MAPISP.EXE to use up all the CPU time.

My solution, therefore, is to get another email client... OK not the best solution ever but its the best one I can come up with. Unless, of course you have your own email server that you can hack and slash at to delete the file from the server. Basically you need to clear your server of the demon email :)

Hope some of that makes sense and that maybe it might help :)

Cheers
KiP

We having same problem. I tried the reinstall, it didnt work. Tried to send an e mail, did work and we get undelverable mail back. MAPISP32.exe is using 99% of CPU,

Any other ideas?

Jason

I am having the same problem only with 1 machine running Windows 2000 and another running Windows NT Server. Anybody out there that knows the answer please HELP.

KiP2K (above) was right in my case (NT4 Workstation SP6, Outlook 97 with both service releases applied). Mapisp32 would lock down my CPU at 100%.....I could kill it with the Task Manager but no mail. I went to my mail server using telnet and found the earliest message in my folder (an advertisement) and deleted it....then restarted Outlook. No problem after that.

I've seen problems similar to this in the past that have
been caused by corrupt .PST files. You might want to try
running the inbox repair tool.

On June 1st, with no apparent reason, my Outlook 2K stopped working, (I mean it freezes at the very beginning, when the Outlook Logo appears). Trying to retrieve the data base using Access 2K an error message appears: "MAPISP32.EXE has caused a KERNEL32.DLL error"

Tried to solve the problem by re-installing everything... it didn't work.

Please help me retrieve my data (most of my business contacts and schedule are in there) I also have a laptop where Outlook works fine but I have no data there... Is it possible to open my Outlook files using another machine? If so... what should I do?

Thanks a lot for your help (you are saving an important part of a man's life)

Well everyone...I am seeing the same problem w2K-office 2000. Patched to currentl sp2 on the OS and office. It is happening on just one machine. I have tried everything. Any other thoughts.

I have recently had this problem, and found that two procedures seemed to fix the problem.
1. Norton Antivirus with email checking was running, and finding emails on the server with virus' attached. If you attempt to clean these they basically 'clog up the works' anbd Outlook hangs and/or doesn't retrieve any more email. Deleting said attachments got things running again.
2. Run the inbox repair tool: scanpst.exe. Your outlooks pst files should be in the Outlook folder in C:/program files, but check this by going to tools/services and check the properties of your Personal Folders.

These two things worked for me!

When I run outlook it runs multiple occurrences of MAPISP32. Sometimes I have 8 or 10 occurrences. what can I do

Javaswift

I had a similar problem. Outlook 97/NT 4.0 would not read mail messages and MAPISP32 had to be shutdown manually.

Reinstalled OL97 + SR2, and NT + SPs. No help. There were no messages in POP3 queue after I read them with Outlook Express. There may have been a bad message originally. I ran scanpst on my inbox. The solution for me was to reinstall RAS:
. Control Panel / Network Services / Add.
. Click Remote Access Service in the Network Service box and then click OK.
. Configure the port.
. When prompted, restart your computer.
. Re-apply your latest Service Pack.

Who knows? Maybe the problem began with a bad message. After all those reinstalls, maybe the problem was fixed, but I still couldn't read mail, because RAS was not included in the reinstall. Reinstalling RAS fixed it.

Hope this helps.

Dick M

I had the same problem MS Outlook 97/ WIndows 98. After checking for mail my Norton Anti-Virus started and everything crashed. After reading your comments I just went to mij mailbox through internet, removed the first mail and everything was solved. So no reintstalling needed. Just remove the mail that seems to block everything.

Likewise. OS 98SE with IE5.5 SP2- Issue with Outlook97 and XP. Xp reports the error with Mapisp32.exe and won't open while Outlook 97 runs like a two legged dog up a mudslide.

Did anyone only notice the problem post updating to IE5.5 SP2?

The machine in question had previously been running Outlook97 and Outlook XP before the update.

Resolution : -

Reinstated ghost prior to Explorer 5.01 SP2 and 5.5 SP2 and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back