Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapisp32 hogs CPU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunGuy

MIS
Sep 15, 1999
US
I have a problem when I start Outlook 97 on NT 4.0 SP 6, it starts both OUTLOOK.EXE and MAPISP32.EXE, but when I check for email OR try to shut down Outlook, MAPISP32 starts running (its clock starts ticking in Task Manager) and CPU use goes to 100%. I can shut it down with Task Manager, but the system acts weird after that, and when I try to do a shut down or restart, it gives me a couple messages about ThorConnWndClass and WMS Idle cannot be shut down and do I want them to shut down? No, nothing new has been installed or nothing like that. This started happening out of the blue on an otherwise stable workstation. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook and Office with no change in results. Any ideas why MAPISP32 is screwing up like this?

The same basic problem has been happening on one of my users machine w/ Win95 & Outlook97. I tried most of the stuff I've read here. After reading Etherbolt's post, I started Outlook Express and set up identical email accounts to what I had in Outlook. After using OE to retreive the email that had been trying to come down in Outlook97 the problem no longer existed. It was like there was a corrupted email and as soon as I started a send/retreive cycle in Outlook, it was taking up 100% of CPU time.

Found the problem again. This time after about 5 hours talking with Microsoft we ended up recreating the exchange account and the problem is now fixed. The account was exported to a pst file using O97 then dleted the Exchange2k mail box then purged the mail box.

Having done the above the account was recreated and restored from the PST file.

The odd part about this problem is that O97 was O.K. with the account but Outlook XP would crash almost immediately with an error in Outllib.dll. We came to the point of recreating the mailbox because Outlook XP could read my Hotmail account and was O.K. with a couple of other Exchange2k accounts (Same size and Configuraton as mine).

Very strange problem though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back