Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many phones locking up at 3 of 4 SCN sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedphones

Vendor
Oct 11, 2005
US
We have a 4 location SCN going. 4.2(2) 500V1 Control units, with a mix of DS-8, VCM, etc.

Our first experience was a local site kept freezing but it was only the phones on the DS30V2. All the sets in the main controller on the DS8 were fine so we assumed (I know, I know) that the DS-30 was bad since everything else worked. It comes back for a while after a power cycle. We also replaced the power supply, no luck.

Today, we were informed by 2 of the other 3 offices that their phones are also locking up. They power cycle their local systems and they come back on line too.

Question: Since we now know it's not just the phones in the local DS30 locking up, but also 2 of the 3 other sites, what could this be?????

What types of conditions across and SCN would take down and freeze phones? (time/date stops progressing, phones are frozen). 5410 sets.

This has been in place for years trouble free.

Any light someone could shine will be much appreciated.

you really running 4.2(2) on an IP500v2??? If that is accurate, that is problem enough and the first thing I would address.

I have never seen an SCN be at fault for phones freezing. I have however seen major issues where the NIC on the main unit was getting smashed and caused a similar outage repeatedly. This was resolved by addressing their network config.

For this to have been fine for sooooo long and then all of a sudden it is a problem means something else has changed and this is where you need to focus

Thanks Manky,

Its not a 500V2 , it's a 500V1. The only change I can find is the addition of a SIP DID a few weeks back. Other than that, I am at a loss and can't imagine what would cause all but 1 site to lockup. Has anyone ever had this happen?

Hi Mike & All,

Wanted to add my 2 cents as the end user.

When the phones on the DS30 freeze and I go into the server room to check the phone system. If I watch the DS30 lights (1-30), I can see some of them (roughly 4-5 at a time) turn off for 2 seconds, then come back on. Almost looks like the phones are rebooting to try to connect, but when I look at them, they are all frozen with the time that the system stopped responding.

As for changes, we have not made any changes on the system since the addition of an Incoming Call Route on 10/2/13. This problem start approx. 2 weeks ago.

The phones froze again tonight at 7:08pm, over an hour after the last employee left, so it doesn't seem like a user problem.

Also, when the phones on the DS30 do freeze and I launch system status, there are no errors. I can click on the expansion module and see all of the extensions with phone type, etc... Seems like the link is still up, but the phone side of the module is frozen.

I am open to suggestions and can test tonight if anyone has any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back