Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mallboxs wont mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

havensov

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2006
US
I don't know if this has anything to do with my earlier post but i think this is the real problem

When i click on "mailboxs and stuff" i get

"the action could not be completed because the microsoft exchange information store service in unavailable. Be sure that the service is running and you habe net work connectivity to the microsoft exchange server computer"

Operation: Retrieving mount information
ID No: c1041721
Exchange System Manager

Ok, but all the services are running....

I have no clue what is going on.... I am not a Exchange guy i ahve had little exp. but was thrown into this mess. Any help would be nice...

Allen R.

ok, how do i get the stores to point to the new location?

-Allen R

ok did that, but i got an error

the action could not be compleated because the microsoft exchange information store service is unavaliable. Be sure the service is running and you have network connectivity to the microsoft exchange server computer.

ID: c1041721
Exhabge System manager

And yes, the Exchange information store service is running.....

-Allen R.

Wow. Let's take a step back a second. I don't think we have an overview of your setup. Is this server also a domain controller? If not, is the domain controller up and running. Can it be a DNS issue? Maybe the Exchange server name is not being recognized. I'm really at a loss here.

all of the Exchange is on one machine, there is anouther server that is the domain controler and has the profiles for users on it.

I will restart DNS on that machine and see if it helps.

-Allen R.

restarted DNS on the other server, nothing changed

-Allen r

Ok, i can get the new drive. If everyone is out of ideas at this point, should i install the new drive, unistall Exchange and reinstall with a new setup using the new drive for the databases and "E:" for the log files?

-Allen R.

On the exchange server open a command propmt and do :

1. ipconfig /all
2. hostname

Write down the results.

Cross check both results against your DNS

Cross check the hostname against that showing in ESM

Does everything resolve correctly ?

The general consensus is that the problem is either drive space related, corrupted databases, both of the above, or something else altogether.

It is a difficult one to troubleshoot, largely due to your predecessor's potentially unique approach with the configuration, naming conventions and who knows what else ;-)

The worrying unknowns relate to the inability to run isinteg due to wrong server name or networking problems, the information store service apparently running but showing error indicating the microsoft exchange information store service is unavaliable and again potential network connectivity issues. If we can get these 2 issues resolved, we should be able to resolve the rest of it (?)

I personally wouldnt go down the reinstall route, but that is just personal preference as it may not necesarrily resolve the issues you have. Saying that, my opinion has been wrong in the past, and will continue to be wrong in the future, and I dont have the boss knocking my door every 5 minutes asking when the email is going to be back up.

What were the WINS issues you had ?

That was back when it origenaly went south, but after i rebooted the error stopped and everything was working again.

could this be a virus problem? or is there a utility to reinstall or repair just the information services?

-Allen R.

have you tried restoring the databses using eseutil?

in a cmd promt goto the program files\exchsrvr\bin folder

type eseutil /p "C:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"

where ["C:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"] is the location of your exchange database files, keep the quotations marks on, once this is finished do the same for the pub1.edb database, then try and remount

Hmm. This sounds intriguing. Is there anything odd in the event viewer under application or system?

If you are going to ply with the edb and stm files, can you copy them off to another box in case you need to revert back to them?

Also, use ntbackup to take a backup of the IS. If this complains, post the log from there.

By any chance have you got Outlook connection issues? Checking obvious stuff first, go to the DNS server and remove the entries for the Exchange server (noting them first) then add in A and MX records for both manually. Check that server for DNS problems. Assuming the same box is also the WINS database, repeat the exercise for that too, adding static mappings in for the Exchange server.

Then from a client, ping it by IP and name and you should get responses.

Definitely do an eseutil /p

Have you renamed either server recently? What AV are you running on the server (probably a red herring, but go with me)?

Ran the eseutil it didn't give me any errors, but still have the same problems.

nothing out of the ordenary in the event veiwer.

Yes, outlook will not open at the other stations. I get a "can not conect to exchange server" error and then Outlook closes.

Pinged, and got all four back no problem.

AV is McAfee...

-Allen R.

Did not find MX records for the the computer running Exchange. I added it, and restarted DNS.

WINS looks ok, what am i looking for?

-Allen R.

ok, at this point i have to do something.....

Unless someone has a better idea, i will unistall exchange in the morning and try installing fresh.

-Allen R.

If you got the new drive, I would try just moving the databases first, as mentioned earlier. Do you have backups if you go the fresh install route?

can't move them, i get a "can't find the sever" error...

Can't back them up, they get skipped by the backup due to being used. I turned off the Microshaft Exchange services, and tried again and got eh same thing.

I would if i could...

I do have the new drive, just need to install it.

-Allen R.

Can't back them up, they get skipped by the backup due to being used. I turned off the Microshaft Exchange services, and tried again and got eh same thing.
Are you using Windows Backup to back them up? I thought Windows Backup was supposed to be able to do a live backup of Exchange. As Zelendakh said, can you post the errors exactly that the backup is giving you? Maybe some clues in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back