Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mallboxs wont mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

havensov

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2006
US
I don't know if this has anything to do with my earlier post but i think this is the real problem

When i click on "mailboxs and stuff" i get

"the action could not be completed because the microsoft exchange information store service in unavailable. Be sure that the service is running and you habe net work connectivity to the microsoft exchange server computer"

Operation: Retrieving mount information
ID No: c1041721
Exchange System Manager

Ok, but all the services are running....

I have no clue what is going on.... I am not a Exchange guy i ahve had little exp. but was thrown into this mess. Any help would be nice...

Allen R.

Ok, version 6.0 (Build 6249.4 SP3)

Ok, i click on the private information store and there is nothing there..... the icon has a red down arrow on it....

-Allen R.

Ok, we're talking apples to apples then...good.

Go ahead and reboot, check the logs and you should find one that will tell you the store can't mount and why.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

ok, here is the messages upon boot up.

The server was unable to add the virtual root '/public' for the directory 'M:\unilitho.com\Public Folders' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\unilitho.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exadmin' for the directory '\\.\BackOfficeStorage' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
Does this help?

Look, i have been at this for days now... how hard is it to reinstall Exchange?

-Allen R.

nothing is in the private or public folders....

-Allen R.

havensov on yahoo messenger if it would be faster....

Can someone tell me how much space i need? Its a 9gig drive with 2.8 gig free. the .Edb file is 1.24gig.

-Allen R.

In your <drive>:\exchsrvr\mdbdata are your .edb files as well as your .stm streaming files and your .log files. How large are your .edb and .stm files and how large are your combined .log files?

You don't have enough drive space to do a defrag if I remember correctly, and I think the whole problem is drive space related.

You didn't tell us what your configuration is yet. Are you running RAID? How many drives? etc.

Are you able to right click on "mailboxes and stuff" and get to the properties? This should tell you the path to the data and log files. It would help us to troubleshoot better. If they are both on the same drive, then I can almost guarantee you that lander215 and everyone else are correct, definitely drive space.

Can someone tell me how much space i need? Its a 9gig drive with 2.8 gig free. the .Edb file is 1.24gig.
Seems like it is a single drive. I know you want to know if it's easier to just re-install Exchange at this point, but I don't think re-installing it to this server is going to help. This may be the time to research some Exchange best practices and install it on a corectly configured server - RAID, seperate disks for data and logs, etc.

Ok, log files are located on the same drive as the sys files for exchange. the total for them is 20mb. it is in c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata

the EDB files are on another drive called E: under E:\exchsrvr\mdbdata The total for that folder is 2.4 gig.

priv.edb = 1.24GB
priv.stm = 1.09GB

This is all one one computer with a partitioned drive. there are those two as well as another one called "L:"

-Allen R.

How much free space on L:? You could try to move your stores to that drive as a temporary fix until you can get bigger drives.

since you guys have been asking about space, someone on another board said to clean out the archives... i'm moving all of it off the E: drive.

L: only has 9GB on it left and is used as a program dump.

-Allen R.

What do you mean "the archives"?

C has the OS and the Exchange logs (REALLY bad idea)
E is the Exchange database
L is empty

BTW if you see an M drive, PLEASE don't touch it.

If the System Attendant service running?
What services containing the word "Exchange" are running?
Services not running, try starting them and check the event log.

ok, L has 9GB left on it. Possibly a good place to put the Store then the logs can go to E?

There is a folder called "archivesink" on "E:" that has archives of all email, or at least thats what the old IT guy said.

All services are running.

why is it that exchange needs this much space when it was running fine until the drive go backed up?

-Allen R.

Can you right click the mailbox store, go to properties this time, then database tab. Does it show the correct location for the database ?

Can you tell us more about this flood of email you had, how you knew that the drives you have were maxed out (both of them ?) and what you did to reclaim the space

Can we confirm :
You have 3 physical drives on the server :
C:
E:
L:
Are they all 9 gig drives ?

Yes, the locations are correct.

Left one night with everything working fine came in the next morning and both drives C: and E: we maxed out when viewed in explorer. I tried looking up the problems on a few sites like this, tried a few of the things that they said to try plus I got a hold of the old IT guy. He told be to run a virus scan on the whole machine. McAfee came back that with "c:\exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\BadMail" was infected with allot of large files. I cleaned out those files.

He (the old IT guy) told me to transfer and back up the files from "E:archivesink" to the "L:" drive so I could later burn copies. In the "archivesink" folder there are two other folders called "Mapi-gateway messages" and "stmp messages". I moved them to the "L:" drive where I saw the other same types of folders.

No, on physical drive with four partitions. C:, E:, L:, and M:.
C: is 7.52GB with 1.47GB free
E: is 9.76GB with 2.86GB free
L: is 94.4GB with 3.49GB free
M: is 7.52GB with 1.47GB free

All this is as of 8:40 this morning. I haven't touched them since Friday and I am still losing space on "E:". I had it over 3GB when I left on Friday.

If space is what I need, will buying a new drive, say 25-30GB and installing, and moving the exchange files from "E:" fix this?

-Allen R.

Scanning the whole server may have corrupted your databases

Ref :
It may also account for the space disappearing : "you may notice an unusually large number of transaction log files being created in the Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata folder or in the transaction log file location"

Ref :
If I were you I would run ISinteg to assess and repair any damage.

Once you have the mail flowing again, you would really want to address the server hard drive size and configuration issues.

Paul

Once the databases are confirmed as being in working order, in theory you should be able to mount them and you "should" be in business.

I'll use the invaluable "Preview Post" option next time, honest

;-)

ok, i ran isinteg and its telling me the server name is wrong?

I tried puting in the name of the computer and i got

Error: unable to get database status from server. the reason could be either wrong server name or networking problems.

Or am i putting in the wrong name?

-Allen R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back