Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Makeing a filling cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are8Jay

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
US
Need to store the information about an image so I can search for it at a later date by name, category and description. Before that, I need to get image's of CD and display it on my access form, edit the name of the image. Select a category to place it under and type a short description of the image. Then, select where on my hard drive I'll be storing the image. All of this needs to happen on a access form so I can store in information into the database. I'm good with VB.net but don't want to take the time to code this program. I'm wanting to use access to speed-up the process.

My Question is, do I use Access because it WILL speed up the process or just code it from scratch in VB.net?

I'm not sure on how similar the VB.net and an Access VBA are to each other and if I'll run it a lot complications in getting this application to work like I described it to.

Any Comments on the subject would be help?

From the guy in a pickle!

Access comes with several image controls (including ActiveX) for viewing your images. Documentation is sketchy, but setting the paths and renaming files will involve code. Unless you have the Developer's edition, Microsoft's Common Dialog will not be available, so this complicates browsing.

Using Access for your basic form and controls will likely be a timesaver, but ou will need to resort to VB (or another programming language) at some point.

Cheers,
Bill

How are ya Are8Jay . . . .

There are a great number of software packages that already do this and in good style!. I don't understand why ya don't just get one and save yourself the trouble!

Flag0.gif
Remember Our Veterans! Remember Sept 11th!

Are8Jay

There are lots of image management programs out there, but if you are trying to create a table of image paths, and text descriptions, and want to program it yourself, then I believe you can do it with Access / VBA using FileSystemObject and Dir function - no ActiveX controls, no common dialog.

I have built something similar, an "Image Explorer" to do much of what you are trying to do, other than moving files and renaming them. It navigates drives, folders and subfolders and displays the paths of images, and once you access the path to an image, it also immediately displays a small image right on the form. I then store the path in a table, and assign a description. I don't know any reason why you couldn't cobble up something that could also move and name /rename files.

It requires reference to msft scripting runtime library for FileSystemObject file system tools to work.

You will need to use a callback function to build the rowsource for listboxes. There's a limit of something like 2048 characters for the length of a value list type rowsource. My form will not handle directories with longer lists of folders in them. The callback function evidently is not bound by that limit. That's is my next upgrade to that form. Other than that it works like a charm.

I'm a self taught novice programmer , so it should work for others.

Best,

C

Thanks everyone for your input. TheAceMan1, do you know of any freeware that does what I've discribed. Would save tons of time. Kinda in a pinch, short notice and a deadline to meet. Took the task on as a placement booster and now I'm back-pedaling like mad.

Thanks again for the input.

rj

Are8Jay . . . .

No I don't, but I have a few resources I can check. If I find anything I'll be sure to post back!

Flag0.gif
Remember Our Veterans! Remember Sept 11th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back