Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<= Date gives odd result

Status
Not open for further replies.

evaleah

Programmer
Mar 18, 2003
US
I am using the following syntax in my WHERE clause:
DateOnStudy <= '08/13/02'

There are two records in the db that fit that. One DateOnStudy = '08/12/02'. The other DateOnStudy = '01/21/02'. But my query is only giving me the first and not the second.

Any ideas about why that is and what I can do about it?

Thanks!
Eva

try this...

WHERE DateOnStudy <=
CONVERT(DATETIME,'2002-08-13 00:00:00',102)

'//-------------------------
' your [DateOnStudy] colums datatype should be DATETIME

good luck.

If the datatypes are datetime or strings then the query should work.

Its almost as if they are character strings in the format dd/mm/yy. However the values you show are after a default conversion to a datetime datatype. In which case your where clause should be in the same format ie DateOnStudy <= '13/08/02'.

Dont know if this helps, I think Ive confused myself.

Is it possible that the record where DateOnStudy = '08/12/02' has a time stamp on it? That'd be my guess.

-dave

The column is datetime.

The time stamp on both records is 00:00:00.

Sorry, should have mentioned those items with the initial question.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!

I must have been exhausted last night when I was working on this. The second date isn't 1/12, is 12/1/2002 which any fool knows is NOT <= 8/12.

Thank you everyone for helping. I will try not to post such a ridiculous question again. Wow, I feel silly. I spent tons of time on this last night.

UGH! Just goes to show you overtime doesn't always pay:)

Don't feel bad, I think all of us have been totally stumped by something that we later come back to and instantly see what the problem is. I do agree that one becomes less able to think and process information the more overtime one works. I've had times when working overtime that I find myself spending an hour or more on something which would take me 5 minutes or less if I was fresh. When this happens to me, I always stop and go home because I've found that any work I do after I get that tired will need to be redone in the morning. I've never had a supervisor get upset with me when I tell him that's why I'm leaving either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back