Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low volume for call forward on analogue lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

geosun

Programmer
Mar 4, 2016
RO
I am trying to find a solution for low volume when call is forwarded to an external number.
As soon as PBX answers the call and begin forwarding to the external number you can hear destination ringing at very low volume. And once is answered you still get same low volume.
Incoming and outgoing is on analogue lines without reverse circuit capabilities.

The PBX is a NS500 and I have tried with audio gain at maximum for LCOT6 (both in and out) with only small difference (not satisfactory).
You need a very quiet room to be able to understand the other party.

I am thinking at following:
- Are there any amplifiers that I can mount on the analogue lines?
- will digital lines give better performance?
- are there any other solution for this?

get a line that has centrex or 3 way calling on it so you are not bridging two analog lines together....

If it is only the main number that the system is forwarding, you might try adding the Call Forward feature on that line. Then you just forward that line to whatever number destination is required. If it is for after business hours, you would program it before leaving, and in the morning you would cancel the feature so calls will ring in normally. When forwarding calls in this manner you do not have any volume loss on the calls, because the switching is done at the CO, and not at the phone system.

....JIM....

I'm doing now, forwarding from CO.
But i need to forward from pbx in order to get smdr reports for each call.
This will be a CallCenter and for each call need to create an entry in crm to be filled next day.
I was hoping for an easy solution, like a line amplifier.
But i guess the only way is to switch to digital lines.

Unless your location is very close to the CO, the effects of long copper loops can take its toll in the lower voice levels when bridging or switching calls through a phone system. Digital service will be much better in reducing transmission losses. Line amplifiers can work, but can complicate the situations finding optimum settings for a uniform level. There may be a lot of trial and error required too. Digital service is probably the better option, and obviously cost can be a factor also.

....JIM....

Hi,
This has been an age old problem with transferring/diverting off premise using analogue lines. Most manufacturers, Panasonic included, always advised to use ISDN for this. The volume is not lost via ISDN.
Regards
Mark

Thank you Jonah!
I'm now using a premicell that has much better volume.

I solved this issue by having my VPS issue the necessary EFA code to transfer the call back out on the same line. Works well volume wise, only issue I'm trying to solve now is the caller only hears silence on the line while being transferred. I'm concerned some people might hang up before the party answeres on the other end thinking they've been disconnected, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the ringback tone for the second call to flow through to the initial caller.

Thanks! Interesting but hard to achieve on my side.
I understand the call is answered anyway. You could play a message like 'please wait' before sending the EFA code.

Yes, that is what I've done. It's not idea.. but it seems to be the best we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back