Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low resources 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesmoon

Technical User
Nov 28, 2000
US
I am working on a PII 266 w/196mb of memory and when I check system resources it shows I am anywhere from 50-63% free. The only programs that are shown running are systray, explor, virus program, rnaap, inbox and icq. Is there to many programs open or do I need to add more memory? Even after i close one or two of them up I only free up about 5%. Any suggestions????

I have the same problem with 128 megs of ram. I was recently told that Windows 95 & 98 can't use any more than 64mb. I don't now how true it is, but it came from a very reliable source. There are a couple things you can do to help. Don't use any screen savers or wall paper or especially themes. Check your start up for programs you don't need on all the time. Microsoft Find Fast for example, also I have anti virus set to only scan on boot, not to run all the time. I am about to install ME, I am told my problems will be solved or at least much better. Hope this helps.

The reports of a 64mb limitation are *very* unreliable. With 64mb I was barely able to run AutoCad 2000. With 128mb I am able to load Autocad, 3D Studio, VB6, Word 2000 and a command prompt simultaneously without creating much of a burden on the system.

The key is to keep a clean machine. Make maintenance a daily ritual and many of your problems will go away.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Alt255

I agree with you in that adding more memory does allow me to open more programs but after I close them my free memory should return back to where it was before those programs where opened if I correct. What all are you referring to in daily maintenance????? Also thanks guys for your input.

Blue

I run Borland Pascal Protected Mode Programs on Win95 128 MB.
This DOS program uses up to 64 MB.
Nearly the other 64 MB are use by Windows as a Cache,
the good old Smartdrive function.
In Photoshop the whole RAM can be specified as "available".
Obviously Win95/98 is not limited. ----G.Hoffmann

And now back to the resources problem (which is unrelated to the amount of memory that you have).
What type of modem do you have? Is it an HSP? Those guys are notorious for resource consumption and problems. If that is the type of modem you have then replace it with a different type and your problems will probably disappear.
You don't say what OS you are running. If it is 98 you can do a Start-Run-MSCONFIG and control what loads in startup and may be able to play with that and eliminate this problem.

I am running Win98 and the only things that are running at start up are syst, expl, office toolbar and virus program. At start up I have about 91% free but after I open a browser and check mail n stuff it drops tremendously. Then after I close those programs up it never returns back to where it was and stays around 77% or lower.

The US Robotics modem takes up a 16 bit ISA slot

What version or browser? The modem should not be a problem. Just for the fun of it, try running other programs and exiting them and keeping an eye on your resources. If the only program that will not release the resources is your web browser you may want to move to a different browser, or in the case of IE5.5, you may want to try the REPAIR option.

I use IE5.5 and Also have Netscape 6.0 but do not use it unless IE will not bring up a site for one reason or another which means I hardly never use it. I will try repair on IE and see if that will make a difference but i feel like it is something else tho.

Slink thanks ...... Blue

It looks as though one of the programs you regularly uses leaks system resources. Theoretically, after you close a program you should get back the system resources that were used. Some programs dont come close to that. I would try unchecking your inbox and rnaap(after running msconfig) and go a session of not using the related programs. Monitor your resources throughout the session(you might pinpoint your 'resource leaker'), but do realize that just from average use, you will lose a lot of resources. Many times the only way to get them back is to reboot.

ICQ2000 eats a ton of system memory and resources - ~ 15 megs and up to 20%. It's got a few leaks in it and its resource usage WILL grow over time. It gets worse when you run software that calls some common dll's. Mplayer is the worst of the bunch.

MSOE can also get ugly when using it as a newsreader or reading folders with hundreds upon hundreds of messages in them.

If you're that concerned with resource management, run Windows 2000 instead.

there is a nifty kernel you can download from microsoft.com called Kernel PowerToys

go here

After install go to Run and type in "wintop"
it's kinda like task manager, displays all the resources which are running in the background, cpu and memory usage. etc, etc.
have fun.

there is a program that i use that frees resources,<ram>,
if you search the usual download sites it will show up,
this one is i think ramidle. this and using msconfig
<start-run-type : msconfig> and taking all extraneous items out of startup, often help a great deal.

Did you try deleting your temporary internet files, the browser history, and all the cookies and applettes that accumulate in the background ? This has helped me in the past. The solutions offered by those above have also worked for me when my machine bogs down. Good Luck!

Look, exactly what are we concerned with...so you have 60 percent resources..so what? Does it have any effect on your system...Resources are there to be used. 100 percent free, 40 percent free..why worry about it..unless you're having a problem.
If you're having a problem find out what program is causing it (leaking). There is a great five part story on leaking resources (when I find it I will post the URL). But the story talks as much about not being concerned, if you aren't having any problems, as it does about what to do to fix your system.

The article for &quot;Resources Leaks&quot; is from I can't find the URL but you should be able to search their site. The article is from May of 2000. Great article for those having problems with resources leaking and general machine health. Just remember that low resources have nothing to do with the amount of RAM you have. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back