Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my Windows Experience Index score so low??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhasmail

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi everyone,
When i check the Windows Experience Index it shows a Base score of 5.9.

Sub score
7.5 - Processor - Intel Core i7 CPU 930 2.8GHz
7.5 - Memory 6 GB
7.8 - Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
7.8 - Gaming graphics - 4091 MB Total available graphics
5.9 - Primary hard disk - 62GB free (101GB Total)

My hard disk is a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0GB/s

Why do i get such a low score on my hard disk?

It's set up on the SATA 6GB port of my ASUS Rampage lll Extreme motherboard.

Partitioned as follows:
C: = 100 GB
D: = 200 GB
System reserved = 100 MB
Unallocated = 630 GB

Anyone have any ideas or comments???
Thank you in advance.
danny

Below is the read-out from Windows Experience:

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz 7.5 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 7.8
Gaming graphics 4091 MB Total available graphics memory 7.8
Primary hard disk 64GB Free (101GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Professional

System
Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 1237 GB
Disk partition (C:) 64 GB Free (101 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 191 GB Free (205 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Total available graphics memory 4091 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1280 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2811 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6724
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network
Network Adapter Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection

Notes
The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

Ugh. Just curious, does the WPI score take into account RAID arrays? I have a raid 1+0 on my Vista machine that has a transfer rate of 180-200 MB/sec.

That machine recently had an issue and I installed Vista on a single drive for a test, and it was SO much slower than I was used to. My machine scored a 5.9 on the Vista WPI, but apparently that's as high as it goes on Vista...

I just ran the test to remind me what my numbers are. I also found this interesting bit: "If your computer has a 64-bit central processing unit (CPU) and 4 gigabytes (GB) or less random access memory (RAM), then the Memory (RAM) subscore for your computer will have a maximum of 5.9."!

I can confirm that it true. It is something I noticed when I was diagnosing my BSOD problems. It shows that the WE Index is really only a very rudimentary guide to performance. With WEI, size does matter!

Regards: Terry

I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit and a Phenom X4 processor with only 4GB of RAM and my Memory (RAM) score is 7.2.

Jim

Interesting. Possibly that is because my hardware is reserving some of the installed RAM and Windows only uses 3.87GB. Or perhaps you have faster DDR3 RAM(I have DDR2-800).

The point I'm making is that rather than actually assessing the performance of the memory system, the WEI is only looking at the amount of memory and type of memory. If I stick in the extra 4GB module, WEI jumps from 5.9 to 7.3.

Regards: Terry

The base memory score reflects your memory bandwidth. However the score is capped by the amount of memory that you have (and yes, reservations from system memory for graphics are indeed subtracted from your total memory)

My MacBook Air, with a virtual Windows 7 instance installed, has a disk rating of 7.5.

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

ummm, perhaps that is because the mac book air comes with solid state storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back