Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost HDD1/SSD1 password

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhasmail

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi everyone,
My friend gave me his Toshiba Satellite L455-S5046 laptop to fix and I don't know how to do this one.
When it starts it asks for a HDD1/SSD1 password which he doesn't remember ever putting one in.
Clearing the CMOS doesn't fix it. It seems that Toshiba has this password function in the BIOS but according to what I've found online, the password is kept on the hard drive.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem?? Also, if I reformat the HDD will the password be gone or still there??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
danny

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme-Intel i7 930 CPU-6GB Corsair RAM-MSI N470GTX Video-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA 3 + WD 1TB SATA 3-Windows 7 64bit Pro.-Antec 1200 Case with Antec 750W PSU

What was the exact reason(s) it needed to be fixed?

Because he/I can't get past this screen to load windows. Other wise the laptop was working ok.

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme-Intel i7 930 CPU-6GB Corsair RAM-MSI N470GTX Video-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SATA 3 + WD 1TB SATA 3-Windows 7 64bit Pro.-Antec 1200 Case with Antec 750W PSU

There exists the possibility that your friend doesn't remember the password because the laptop is not actually his. This might be a good time for you to forget how to fix computers...

I know the person well, he's a retired minister and doesn't go around stealing laptops.
I have read online that this has happened to others and when their laptops were still under warrantee, Toshiba replaced the HDD free. This one is no longer under warrantee and Toshiba said it would cost $250 for a new HDD.

If it actually has a HDD password, it will not clear with resetting the cmos, or even flashing the bios, the hdd will have to be replaced. Depending on the size of the hdd, it should be 50-100 USD. You don't have to use the same size drive, just the same format. (ide or sata) The easiest way is to swap a hdd out with one from another laptop, place a bootable cd/dvd in the optical drive or a bootable USB drive so as to not take the chance of screwing up the boot for the other hdd. If it doesn't ask for the password, a simple replacement and reload from the image backup we know was made. If it asks for the password, the system board is likely screwed up, and will have to be replaced.

The first thing I did was clear the CMOS and that didn't work. I read online that it's stored on the HDD. The HDD does have the password because I stuck the HDD in my desktop with my other drives and a bubble came up in Windows telling me it's a locked drive. I had also read online that the password is also stored on a chip on the motherboard, and if that's the case, I might not be able to install a new drive. But it is worth trying what you mentioned. Other then that it'll be time for the garbage, too old to spend money on it.
thanks for your suggestion.
danny

There exists the possibility that your friend doesn't remember the password because the laptop is not actually his.
Very subtle, well done.

If it actually has a HDD password, it will not clear with resetting the cmos, or even flashing the bios, the hdd will have to be replaced.
Absolutely correct. The new drive passwords are not easily defeated so if you're the kind of person that forgets passwords, don't use one as it can be permanently fatal or fatally permanent.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I'm wondering about the fact that the password might be stored on both the HDD and a chip on the motherboard. Even if I was to find a way to erase the HDD, password included, would the password stored on this chip still stop me from accessing the HDD??? tough question!!!

It's NOT on the motherboard, it's on the drive itself. I wouldn't even bother or trust a link on the internet. There no reason to have faith in that product. The drive security (and you can see this if you search) is really not defeatable. Some manufacturers will help you if you can prove ownership. They won't help if you call up and say "Yo, I just gots diss 'puter and it's locked".

Link
Link

More from the same guy: Link

goombawaho
good link, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back