Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost a "computer" on the network... can't find it to map to it.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qotyebw

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
After installing DSL & router successfully on this network, a couple users have lost access to some other PCs. FIND COMPUTER won't find the missing PC, which contains the main network drives. Other users have full access.
How do I proceed to regain access to this PC on the network?

Best bet may be to just pick an address outside of the DHCP range and set it to static. Troubleshoot later why it is having trouble contacting the DHCP server.

I'm shortly going to be unavailable for several hours.

The Old Man

I can go static IP as you mentioned, and that PC has network access again. However, there's no internet access, as you would expect.
At least that's acceptable for now.

Will check out the link... thanks.

gotyebw,

Back to this XP machine.

Autoconfig kicks in when DHCP is enabled and the system gets no response from a DHCP server. Disabling autoconfig will most likely result in no IP being assigned. So we need to figure out why it is unable to access DHCP.

Try to ping the address of the file server. Try to ping the router. My guess is that they will work.

Check to see if XP's firewall is enabled. It could be blocking the DHCP broadcasts. Open the Network Control Panel, select Local Area Connection then click on the Properties button. Select the Advanced tab and see if the Internet Connection Firewall is turned on. If it is, try turning it off and then do the ipconfig release and renew. If you get an address, then it's the firewall causing the problem.

I'll do a little research into configuration options in case that's it.

The Old Man

Old Man,

Thanks for your attention. I'll be returning to this issue on Monday morning. In the mean time, we'll likely find more info on this subject. I was totally unfamiliar with XP before this week. I'll learn a bit more before I tickle that keyboard again.

Anyway, it's time for a drive out into the Mojave.

Have a good weekend, and thanks again...

Well,
I performed the registry fix for the Autoconfiguration-disable, and checked to be sure no firewall was in effect. I get confirmation that this function is disabled, however no IP address is generated.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : warren
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-7D-BB-44-7D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

gotyebw,

This link has an excellent rundown of troubleshooting steps for DHCP problems on XP.

There is a documented intermittent issue with DHCP on XP but that is not necessarily what is happening here.

I know you mentioned that XP's firewall is confirmed not running but are there any other 3rd party apps running that would do this? Examples are ZoneAlarm, Tiny/Kerio Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc. Something is blocking the UDP DHCPDISCOVER broadcast or the DHCPOFFER reply. Check a little further on this.

The Old Man

I doubt that any security is in effect. I seem to be able to run free of such apps.
After more tinkering, I have not made any further progress. I'll recommend that the user get a second workstation running NT, to enable internet access. That sounds stupid, but seems to be the only option at this time.
Will look into the MS link..

Thanks again..

Did you ever resolve the problem? I ask because I am having the same type of problem. It is a small network setup as a workgroup. The problem computer has access to the server via the netbuie protocol but cannot get a dhcp ip address, while all other computers in the workgroup with the same setting are able to a ip address and get out to the internet with no problem. Also If I try and find the problem computer on the network i can't. I took the problem computer and put in on a different network and it was able to get a ip address using dhcp but on the original network it cannot get a ip address. The server is setup to obtain a dhcp address from the router modem, and is also set to not provide dhcp services. I can't access the router because there is no documentation, and when I contacted the ISP provider they were no help at all, said they don't support that router modem.

The original problem was solved mysteriously. The original administrator returned (after an 8-month absence) to deal with this problem, only to say that it had to do with our file server not running XP pro. So, I'm assuming that all the workstations needed to run the same operating system in order to communicate with the Linksys router. Who knows?

If you run the Linksys router, use your browser to contact it at 192.168.1.1

Good Luck.

gotyebw,

It's not true at all that the workstations need to run the same OS. I, personally, have Win98, Win NT and Win XP and they all happily use the LinkSys and get their IP's from its DHCP server fine. He may have been blowing smoketo cover something else up.

Remember, it was DHCP that was having the problem. DHCP is a UDP broadcast and would be independent of the OS.

Anyway, glad it was resolved.

The Old Man

Old Man

Maybe, someday soon, I can interrogate they guy who fixed it. Will divulge what I find.

Thanks again for your help.

Why "qotyebw" ? After the 6th try for a unique username failed during sign-up, I gave the keyboard a whack, letting it decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back