Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost a "computer" on the network... can't find it to map to it.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qotyebw

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
After installing DSL & router successfully on this network, a couple users have lost access to some other PCs. FIND COMPUTER won't find the missing PC, which contains the main network drives. Other users have full access.
How do I proceed to regain access to this PC on the network?

DHCP had not been part of this network as far as I can determine. All IP addresses were originally specied within the TCP/IP settings on each PC.

I tried your suggestions, but now cannot reach the router's config...

Once you change the router's address, you will lose the ability to connect from that original computer until you get to another computer with a compatible address.

That is - start with router at 192.168.1.1 and workstn at 192.168.1.100, you will be able to access router config.
When you change the router's LAN IP address to 123.123.123.200, you will no longer be able to access it from 192.168.1.100 (destination unreachable).
Now change the workstation address to 123.123.123.100.
Access the router's config at 123.123.123.200 and you should be OK.

The Old Man

lost internet access after resetting the router... .

123.123.123.100 does not ping...how do I "use" it?

thanks

You seem to imply that I should change the IP address of a workstation... how do I do that?

Did you set the default gateway to 123.123.123.200 as I indicated in the previous post?

What do you mean by use it? I think the answer to what you are etting at is this will become the IP address of that workstation. You will need to go to each of the workstations and reset their addresses to static IP's in the 123.123.123.x subnet

Actually, I just had another thought. You could leave them all as DHCP. You will need to go into the router's config again and access the DHCP portion. Change the base address of the DHCP pool to 123.123.123.100. That will prevent you from having to go and change every computer and it will result in DHCP addresses in the correct subnet.

You will need to either reboot all the workstations or from a command prompt on each one, enter
"ipconfig /release" and
"ipconfig /renew".

The Old Man

yes, I did change the LAN address as you suggested. It was confusing at first, but I think I know what we are doing now.
In my last question, I was expressing that I don't know how to change an IP address for a computer. But....

Will now make change to router's DHCP settings as in your last suggestion..

I appreciate your support!

The same way you changed it to DHCP.

Right click on Network Neighborhood and choose Properties. You can also open the Network Control Panel.
Click the Protocol tab.
Select TCP/IP and click Propertied
On the IP Address tab, select the radio button to assign an IP address. Then enter the address and subnet mask desired. Also enter the default gateway as 123.123.123.200.

Based on previous idea, though, leave them as DHCP.

The Old Man

Workstation3: 123.123.123.123
workstation3 is 255.255.0.0. DHCP is disabled in workstation3
Your trying to Ping from a private IP address to another legit address that has a different subnet mask as noted above in Red.
This would never work unless we redirected such requests.

HAVE the WORKSTATION JOIN The DOMAIN NOT A WORKGROUP.

Go to Start.
Settings.
Control Panel.
Double Click Network Icon.
Scroll to TCP/IP Internet sharing. Make sure it’s highlighted.
Press the radio key labeled Properties.
New Menu with TCP properties pops up.
Select IP address tab and Populate information
IP {address: 192.168.1.XXX
were XXX equals a unique Value that is not assigned to any computers in your domain.
Populate subnet mask as 255.255.255.0
Now select Tab Gateway:
In gateway box enter the value of the new Router 192.168.1.XXX
Proceed to DNS tab:
Populate the machine name and the Domain name you Use (Fileserver) etc.
Populate the Domain control or DNS server IP address
that is configured for you domain. IE 192.168.1.XXX

or just allow DHCP assignments for IP, DNS, And Wins.
Don’t forget to reboot. Don’t forget all nodes, machine; servers should all have the same network value and subnet mask. Further each machine must have a unique value. Just like every house on maple street has a unique house number. The same with your domain.
Route once; switch many

It looks GOOD....but, let me test all computers first....

Hey Old Man,
Your last suggestion to change LAN IP/retain DHCP/release/renew did the trick.
So far, all is well.

Thanks a HEAP! You may have saved my butt. (sigh of relief)

CCIEWannabe: Thanks, will keep your notes on hand.

gotyebw,

Send me an email at TheOldMan346@hotmail.com when you come out from under this.

The Old Man

Almost done... there's one computer remaining to be re-config'd. It's running Win XP, and does not respond to the procedure that works with NT. I'm guessing that I should not use IPCONFIG on XP...?

gotyebw,

XP is the next generation of NT and is built on the same kernel. IPCONFIG should work the same way on XP.

Open the Network Connections control panel and then the Loacl Area Connection. Select the TCP/IP protocol and click Properties. Verify that it is set to obtain IP automatically. Make sure there is no DNS server specified.

If you can, do an IPCONFIG /ALL and copy and paste the result here. No need to transcribe. After doing the IPCONFIG in the command prompt, use your mouse to select the result in the window. THen right-click in the top border/marquee of the window. Select Edit > Copy from the menu. Then you can paste in the window to post here.

The Old Man

Here 'tis :
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : warren
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-7D-BB-44-7D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.18.204
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Looks like autoconfiguration may be suspect... I don't have a handle on that issue.

It's picking up an automatically configured IP but not from the router. The number is an auto-assigned number that Windows handles (don't remember the actual term for it) when it can not find a DHCP server. Try putting in the IP of the router in the default gateway. Technically, it should not be necessary but sometimes I find it helps. Save the config and then do the "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew".

Also verify if you can, that it is really a Realtek NIC in the machine. There is an issue with some cards being picked up incorrectly as a Realtek card.

The Old Man

Also, is it XP Home or XP Pro. XP Home is not compatible with domains.

The Old Man

You can disable the Auto-IP generation by following the steps at this link.

It is a little tricky to follow but if you do it carefully, you should be OK.

The other alternative is to assign a static IP in the proper range. If you don't want to muck around with the registry, that might be the better approach.

Still need to verify if it is XP Home or Pro.

The Old Man

It's XP pro.

How do I change default gateway without going for a static IP/no DHCP? I'm confused about that.

I guess I'd have to take the cover off the PC, and eyeball the network card to determine what type it is...?

I did find a place to enter a default gateway IP without disabling DHCP.

Upon IPCONFIG/renew, I get the message:
"An error occurred while renewing interface with local area connection..
Unable to contact your DHCP server"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back