Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost a "computer" on the network... can't find it to map to it.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qotyebw

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
After installing DSL & router successfully on this network, a couple users have lost access to some other PCs. FIND COMPUTER won't find the missing PC, which contains the main network drives. Other users have full access.
How do I proceed to regain access to this PC on the network?

1) What protocol are u using.

If using TCP/IP, I suggest uninstall the TCP/IP protocol & reinstall.

C4J

We're using NT. I'm no network wiz, but I've assumed TCP/IP.
Also, I'm not sure I know how to bring a lone PC onto the network again. Can you provide a procedure?

Thanx....

gotyebw,

I don't recall any mention of a domain in previous posts. Are you running a Primary Domain Controller?

Try this on each of the computers having the problem,
- Right-click on the Network Neighborhood and choose Properties.
- On the Identification tab, note whether it says the computer is a member of a domain or a workgroup. If there is no PDC, all computers should have exactly the same workgroup name.
- Click the "Change" button and enter the name of the workgroup
- Save and close the configuration
- Check to see if it can now map the drive.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

All computers have the same Domain entry ("Fileserver").

gotyebw,

Maybe you'd better give some detail about the network. The distinct impression from your earlier psots was that it is a relatively small workgroup. File server but no domains. Is there a domain controller? Are the computers in a domain or a workgroup?

The Old Man

There's about 12 NT workstations, all in a domain called "Fileserver". I don't know why they called it that.. it's confusing. Two of these computers cannot access mapped drives on workstation3, which is accessible by all others. Using Find Computer will not detect that workstation.
On startup, I get the message:
"Domain controller for your domain could not be contacted..."

gotyebw,

First you need to verify where the domain controller is running. Once you have that, open a command prompt and try to ping the controller's IP address from one of the problem workstations. If you do not get a reply, you still have an IP address issue. I don't recall you mentioning any of the IP addressing in earlier posts. If you've done any changing of IP's you could have created a "destination unreachable" condition. If any of the workstations are running personal firewall software, such as ZoneAlarm or Norton, that can do it also.

Here's a link to a site that can be very helpful. The author is German so the English is not always great but you can find some worthwhile nuggets. This is an explanation of NT workgroups vs. domains.

This is a troubleshooting section.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Verify that the machines in question have the IP address of the default gateway correct populated in the Gateway area. Also post the results of IP configuration utility [{ipconfig} or the (WINIPCFG)] utility. You say it all worked in till the addition of the new router into the network.
Are you using DHCP or Static IP addresses?
Route once; switch many

I've not changed any IP addresses, but have chosen DHCP as requested in the instructions for installing the Linksys router.
I'm not well versed with the IPCONFIG, but will on the case as soon as I get to the office this morning (I'm on the west coast).
This is a priority issue today....

thanks..

gotyebw,

Once you get there, on the workstations having problems, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Copy the results and paste back here.

The Old Man

Here's my guess at what's going on. If they're running a domain controller, chances are they were running a DHCP server also. You've now introduced another DHCP server into the environment. Perhaps these three machines were rebooted after the router was installed and now have picked up addresses from the router and not the original DHCP server. If so, they may have the wrong gateway or subnet to access the server and domain controller, hence the message. This is one of the dangers of monkeying with a network without a complete picture of what's there.

Let's look at the ipconfig when you get there.

The Old Man

There's a lot of data to transcribe from the ipconfig/all command. I'll boil it down:

One computer contains the drives that everyone maps to (let's call it workstation3).
I can ping workstations1 & 2 from any other computer, except from workstation3. Workstations1 & 2 can ping all others, except workstation3. When workstations1 or 2 try to ping workstation3, I get "request timed out"

workstation1 : 192.168.1.100
workstation2 : 192.168.1.104
workstation3 : 123.123.123.123 (not intended to be used as a browser/internet use)

All PCs (except for workstation3) have the same default gateway & DCHP server ip's (192.168.1.1). All subnet masks are 255.255.255.0, except workstation3 is 255.255.0.0. DHCP is disabled in workstation3.

"I hope that helps..."

In addition,
DCHP was not the original selection, they all had static IP before the router installation. Workstation3's config has not changed (no need for internet browser on that one). The concept of a domain controller is new to me.

gotyebw,

You have a "destination unreachable" condition. When you attempt to ping workstation 1 or 2 from 3, you get this message, right? Unless there are routes set up either in the router or on the workstations, you can not have different subnets and still be able to reach everything.

You'll need to switch them all back to static with compatible addresses and just set the gateways to point to the DSL router. If they were static to begin with, there was no reason to switch to DHCP.

The Old Man

Even if workstation3 does not browse the internet, it still must have a valid IP address in order to be part of the network. The address should be in the same range, or subnet, as the other computers. I would be willing to bet that ws1 and 2 had static IP's in the 123.123.123.x range before switching to DHCP.

The Old Man

Correction:yes...
Workstation3 cannot ping anyone, yet is accessible to most other PCs. I get "Destination Host Unreachable"
Attempting to ping workstation3 from a good computer results in a time-out.

You last suggestions seem to defy the instructions provided by Linksys. I was to check the Obtain an IP address automatically box. I have lost the original IP settings.

(heavy sigh)

Linksys's instructions were to change the IP configs IF YOU WANTED TO USE DHCP. These were already static and therefore would not have required a change.

Here's what you need to do:
- Before you switch anything around, get on one of the wstn that now has DHCP.
- Go into the router's config and change the LAN address to 123.123.123.200 [assuming that is not currently used]
- Save the config and reset the router
- Pick unique numbers in the 123.123.123.x subnet for each of the other computers. Set the IP address in each with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
- Set the gateway address on each to 123.123.123.200.
- Save the config and restart the computers.

There may be other conditions but this MAY fix the overall situation.

The Old Man

sounds serious.

How do I perform the .. "pick unique numbers....." item?

With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, it is only the last octet that will matter. So pick a starting point and try to ping 123.123.123.100 and see if anything responds. If no, use it. If yes, go on to the next. Ping 123.123.123.101 and so on until you've got numbers for each unit. Note, you can only use up to 123.123.123.254.

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back