Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking Under the Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanorlando

Programmer
Dec 18, 2002
US
Does anyone have programmer-friendly documentation for 7.6.100 (SQL Server)?

A database diagram, an ER diagram, a programming guide... any would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean ____________________________
Dean Waye
Manager of Software Dev (IT)
dwaye@gtconveyor.com

Dean,

The DRM documentation that is optionally installed when you install flexibililty is probably your best bet. This is a browser based DRM - Developer's Reference Manual - that gives you the table and field layouts, data types and lengths. Also, you can see for each program the tables and fields read, updated, etc. I have founf this very useful.

If you do not own Flexibility let me know I believe this can be installed anyway. I did get your email the other day by the way.

Don Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Dean,

Also you can use SQL enterprise manager to browse raw data. Have you done this yet? This can be very informative and a good supplement to the DRM documentation. Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I have, but I was looking to see if there was a real or 'official' database or ER diagram already in existence, before reverse-engineering one, since there are a lot of tables (518). ____________________________
Dean Waye
Manager of Software Dev (IT)
dwaye@gtconveyor.com

Dean,

the DRMs also provide the promary links for the table relationships, if this is what you are looking for.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Im new to macola. I've got progression 7.6, i think and i dont know what Flexibility is. Where can I find the DRM? Thanks.

-dave

Just be careful for things in the DRM's that do not exists in macola.........just another feature. :)

Come on Chadt.....don't scare the fella yet. The "feature" of leaving things out of the DRM's or adding phantoms to the DRM's is for the sole purpose of making you think before you type. Also aids in filling the pocket books of the shrinks in your area.

:)

Andy Baldwin

Hi,

One of my developers has put together a little Access db that he uses when he wants to write a new report. It has cross-referenced queries for tables/fields. For instance, if he knows a field name, he can quickly see which other tables have a field with the same name.

The same thing can be done in SQL Server Query Analyzer, but requires more typing :)

This only applies to 7.6. It's small. If anyone wants a copy, let me know: dwaye@gtconveyor.com

why not use the SQL Management Console?

Anyways...looking at the tables can be very eye straining....especially for someone not used to them :)

I would say the DRMs is a good place to start and then the SQL Console. :)

Here's my method - works on either MSSQL or PSQL, attach all the files to an Access database. Choose Tools, Analyze, Documenter and it will let you dump all kinds of info to print on fields, sizes types, etc. Refer to DRM if you want further info about a field, but don't depend on it for sizes and properties as it is often out of date or wrong.

The DRM are only good for finding out what tables are used in what screen.........at least that my2cents.

The macola documentation isn't perfect. Is any vendor's? The DRMs, file definitions & tools such as pervasive database manager, sql enterprise manager & access give us good starting points to figure out where data is & how it is used. We can all make adjustments on the fly when the field positions, etc aren't totally correct or if we are working with older versions of the documentation. Common sense is a must in this business.

After spending 2 days trying to resolve why a compiled crystal report runs properly on 4 of 7 machines that need to run it & talking with the "network expert" about printer drivers that are probably causing the failure on some machines, I don't believe that any software or OS is faultless.

I'm as guilty as anyone of pointing out macola's flaws. Some software companies, however, don't give you any information (ammunition) to bash their product. Let's make good use of what we have.

yeah.....thanks for that insite.

But I must add....Macola has tons of flaws.....much more then most prepackaged software......Why do you think the brains behind Macola left the company about 1 year ago.....most of you should know who I am talking about.

A lot of the bitterness about Macola is due to the road they put us on. Their initial ODBC data connectivity was riddle with bugs and slow to the point of being unusable, making my promises of easier data access to my customers look like lies. They had released a product that flat didn't work, and it didn't work for years. The first MSSQL version was so bad I ended up looking like an idiot to anyone I recommended it to, with a resultant loss of thousands of dollars worth of business for me. Again, they released a product that flat didn't work. There inability to respond to inhouse and independant developers complaints about these and other issues cost them a community that could have actually help them sell their product. Once again, in this case their Flex product, flat doesn't work. If you expect me to have any sympathy for them, I don't. I now expect anything new from Macola to not work. Their fault, not mine.

and things still do not work.......example...ES....try doing a conversion and see how that goes....GOOD LUCK. :)

I have never seen so many responses to a question in this forum in such a small time frame.

Hey wait a minute......here is a piece of software that works.....

Andy Baldwin

I actually feel bad for the VARS and Es employees. It's hard for them to say anything without hitting a sore spot somewhere that unleashes a tirade.

I have read recently how GM has decided to go back with hat in hand to the marketplace and admit that it built crummy cars for years, but is now going to do whatever it can to climb the long road back to a different image. Exact needs to do the same thing. Selling ES to an existing 7.5 user is like trying to sell a new chevy to a guy who once owned an 84 Monte.

Just telling clients about the cost of hardware upgrades for ES scares them away before they even see the crappy product they would buy the hardware for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back