Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for recommendations of 3rd Party SIP Phones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortel4Ever

Vendor
Nov 1, 2011
CA
I'm putting together a quote that will include 350 SIP phones connected to a IP Office Server Edition. Ideally the J129 would be perfect, but are unfortunately no longer available and the customer has said the j139 are too much money. Even though the more expensive 3rd party licenses would be required I'm looking for suggestions of a good, but inexpensive SIP phone similar to the J129.

Thank you

Looking at one of the vendors in the UK they've got J129s on clearance so probably trying to clear their stocks - but probably not 350!

Their price for the J139 is about 20% more than the cost of the third party licence. I'm sure the cost of even the cheapest third party phone and licence is going to be more than a J139 and with less functionality.

I agree with ipohead to look to see if any of the vendors have enough J-129s or if some 9600s are available since they are older (but EOS).

Do they all need hard phones, would they be find with 85% J139 and 15% softphones to lower cost?

On a project of this size it is probably worth getting a single third party licence (always useful) and cheap SIP phone and see exactly what happens.

Grandstream, Snow and Yealink come to mind but there are others.

I recall functionality on third party phones is quite basic with just calls in and out with caller ID. Not sure about MWI. No access to system directory or visual voicemail.

Since it was just a single phone, I used the web interface to the phone to set up, but this may be a lot of work for 350. Some have their own autoprovisioning but this could be hard work.

You REALLY need to get the customer to state what features they want to use on their phones. If they want anything other than very basic functionality, they need to use Avaya SIP phones.

Used Snom and Yealink on Avaya with good results.
Mostly Yealink for DECT, Snom for desk phones, got BLF to work etc so very happy with

Calum M
ACSS

Thanks for everyone's input. We are going to tell them that they either go with the J139 or we can't help them. This has been a difficult customer to deal with. It's a school board with multiple schools and all they want is a IPO Server Edition at the Board office feeding J139s in the classrooms and offices of each school. We have strongly recommended against this type of deployment and have told them the only proper way to do it is have a 500V2 at each school with SIP trunks back to the Server Edition, but they won't hear of it.

Yeah, Yeah I know, but what can you do???

Good move Nortel4Ever
schools whine about money all the time but they have lots of it if they look closely and this solution is actually one you can support without losing money.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

3rd Party SIP phones (mostly) have really poor functionality with out of the box ip office features. So you gonna have the saved money on time to get contacts etc. to work properly.

Certifications: ACIS and ACSS

If this had been for a business then I would have said J139's all the way. The additional functionality would have been a benefit. However, given the schools scenario, a mix would be more sensible; J139's in admin offices and 'analog' equivalent SIP phones in classrooms and common areas. The one fly would be the need for paging, which I've frequently seen as a requirement for schools.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back