Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long shutdown time 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
Windows 2000 takes an absolute age to shutdown. I suppose it's something to do with having about 6 squillion apps installed. Is there any way that I can reduce the shutdown time?

[lipstick]

If you have installed Win 2000 Critical Update 329170 I suggest that you remove it. It causes many Win 2000 machines to experience very slow shutdowns. Bill C.

Hi BillCo,

I started on the procedure to remove Critical Update 329170 and was told by Windows that a large number of apps would not run correctly if I removed it. I am grateful for the trouble you have taken in replying to me but would ask you further what you think of this warning about the effect on apps. I have no experience of removing Update 329170 and am anxious not to have to do a full reinstallation.

[lipstick2]

I am running Win2K Pro on a Dell Latitude. I have been getting those long shutdowns as well. Mine are intermittent. However, I have been in a hurry and been forced to bail out of the shutdown by pressing/holding the power button. just before it shuts off, there is a brief DOS screen that says "Windows is shutting Down." I have had no ill effects from this.

I don't know if this helps.

Bill Quinby

MAybe is because you have many services running or unnecesary STR programs loaded in memory. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Hi BillCo,

Cracked it! Thank you so much. I award you a RED STAR (fanfare of trumpets).

Update 329170 was irrelevant to me and I should have been more careful not to install an update which is so obviously unnecessary in my context. I will be more circumspect in future.

The shutdown is so much quicker that it is now better than tolerable.

[lipstick]

Footnote to the removal of Critical Update 329170: -
No adverse effect has been noted but I did take out insurance in the form of a Ghost clone of drive C:

Thanks guys for your offers of advice.

[lipstick]

Yes, removing 329170 works. Here's another method:

Run gpedit.msc
go under local computer policy
then computer configuration
then administrative templates
then system
then logon.
On the right near the bottom is maximum retries to unload and update user profile, enable that and change whatever number is listed to 5.

Be careful messing with policies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back