Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long distance problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipig

Technical User
Nov 8, 2007
CA
Hi,

We have a long distance problem with one of our phones.
If we try to dial a long distance, it rings a couple of time and stop.

Any ideas what it could be.
I know that this phone has a different class of service but I don't see where the problem is.

If it rings it doesn't sound like a restriction level. If restricted, you'll get a busy tone and the display will read 'restricted' once your outbound dialing sequence matches a restricted string.

Since you get ring back, this sound like the number/carrier is the issue or a faulty button/dial-pad/telephone.

1) Can this number be dialed from other phones
2) Does the display show the correct number being dialed or is a digit or two missing
3) Swap phone to see if dial pad is an issue

Hope this helps.

-Phil Ingram
{All-You-Can-Eat Telecom and IT Buffet}

Well, it's even weirder than I thought.
It rings one times from my side but many times at the destination.So If I wait after one ring, eventually somebody will pick-up because it's still ringing at his place.

I have tried at an another phone with the same number and it does the same thing.

With some phone number it's ok but with others it only ring once.

Yeah that's what I thought.I know I don't have this problem if I call this number from home.

What type of NEC pbx is this 2000 or 2400

My carrier cannot find anything wrong with our PRI so I have no clue what could be the problem right now.

Do you have any backup pots lines and a COT card or maybe your vendor can throw in and test. If the problem only exists on the PRI, maybe you can have your vendor meet with the carrier onsite, show that the problem only exists on the PRI, trace the D channel and see whats happening.

-Phil Ingram

Well I think I have pots lines so I will give it a try and see how it goes...

The key is going to be proving to the carrier tech that the problem...

#1 only exists when dialing from PRI and...
#2 getting trace examples of the issue from the d-channel

Upon further inspection, they should be able to diagnose and address the issue by proving which side is the culprit.

-Phil Ingram

I have a cot card with free lens but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Once I connect my line to the right len, how exatly do I use a phone via this line instead of my PRI?

What are the commands involve with this?
I have the manual so if you could just point me to the right direction, it would be great.

If you have feature programming manual you can look up 'Direct Outward Dialing' for a more indepth view of the programs but here are the basic:

1) Find an unused slot that doesn't exceed cabinet capacity

2) Identify the lens that will be used by that slot

3) Program the COT len(s) with unused trunks 14>XXXXX>DYYY
(where xxxxx is the len and yyy is unused trunk number i.e. D000-D255)

4) Assign pots trunks to unused route 3000>DYYY>00-63
(only assign lens with physically cross connected active pots line(s) - one should be enough for testing.)

5) Assign access code for route 20X>Y/YYY>100-163
(where 20X is 200 to 203 depending on numbering plan, 200 is default and where Y/YYYY is your access code you'll use, for example A100 would be lifting the handset and dialing *100 to access trunk group 00.)

6) Test your COT

-Phil Ingram

Thanx for the info.For some reason it is not working.
I do not get a dial tone if I do the access code.All I hear is a buzzing noise.My line is connected to len 00126 which is a free COT card len.

Here is what I did so far:

14>00126:D075-
3000>075:50-
200>A77:150-

chipig,

You need to place the trunk into a route via Command 3000. After you put the new trunk into the new route you have to program the route to be either Loop Start or Ground Start, whatever the trunk type is via Command 35YY.

OK, so you put the trunk in route 50 and assigned *77 as the access code. It also looks like the card is in slot 07 of the second pim and you connected the co trunk to the second to last circuit on the card?

Is this correct?

Also by default, your trunk route should be loop start so you should only need to do 35 commands if that is different or if route 50 had been used for something else at one time.

-Phil Ingram

The PN-4COTB is in slot 15 of the second PIM and slot 07 is occupied by a digital card.

Are you telling me that I need two cards to to do that?
I'm confused.The only card I'm using is the PN-4COTB and it is located in PIM1 (second PIM from bottom) slot LT15.
My line (52V) is connected to len 00126 of this card.

Here is what I have in command 35:

3500>50:00-
3509>50:15-
3520>50:15-

Well I got it working now.The time between each keypress was too short for the PBX to recognize the access feature.

I have dialed the long distance number with the CO line and it is ringing ok.

So it has something to do with the PRI or the carrier.

I have just talked with the carrier and he has no clue why the ringback is not working properly.

The problem is only with some long distance number.
I'll keep looking...

LT15 for a 4 circuit card, I assumed it was an 8 circuit, sorry bout that. Ok, so now you've eliminated the 'called' number being the problem or even specifically your switch no matter what trunk or slot.

Are you using LCR, i.e. 200>9>A129? If so...

Try a direct access code for the PRI trunk group and eliminate LCR as a possibility of causing something, i.e. digit insert patterns, etc. If problem still exists...

I think you need to have the carrier trace the d-channel to resolve this one. Wish I could be of more help.

-Phil Ingram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back