Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetguy

Technical User
Nov 22, 2003
US
When I log in as any account, even admin, it will immediately log off. There are no errors or anything, please help if this sounds familiar.

Can you get in via Safe Mode and undo any installs, driver updates or other updates prior to your problem? You have System Restore and Driver Rollback features if you can enter Safe Mode.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

XP logs on then logs off
thread779-654449

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

No I cannot logon in safe mode, I tried booting to command line but it still requires me to login. I know I can do a ASR but that means I'll prolly have to format. Is there a way I can keep my system going?

Ok, I got as far as booting from CD, but there is a problem. When it asks me to type in my admin password, it does not accept it. I tested my admin password in normal windows and it works, until it logs me right off. I don't think it would help if I cracked my password since I already know it and it is not being accepted...

There is Administrator, and then there are members of the Administrator Group.

When it asks for a password, it is asking for the fundamental installation Administrator password, which is almost always a blank or empty entry. Just hit the Enter key when asked for the password.

Two notes:

. if even Safe Mode auto restarts, then I suspect there is little you could do in Recovery Console to resolve the problem, even after mastering the password issue;

If you can get into recovery console, try:
chkdsk /r

After the reboot of the system, try recovery console again with linney's link above:
If after all of this the reboot issue continues:

. my second thought is a repair reinstall:
If you followed linney's notes, and my first thought above without resolution of the issue (or without an acceptable password for recovery console) do the repair reinstall.

To bcastner

I had a customer whose system would only boot to the blue shut down screen, we tried to start in safe mode but it would boot to the shut down screen but not shut down, we also tried all of the boot log options etc and it would only boot to the shut down screen and stop, even the "use last known good configuration" would only boot to the shut down screen

I still do not know what he did to cause the problem, he said he had done nothing but remove internet temp files LOL

Anyway in search of a fix I saw your link to Digital web cast and used it.

It was excellent and has fixed the problem, I would recommend everyone visiting this link and printing off the instructions as they are clear and easy to read and will without doubt be useful and more importantly they work.

Thanks for the excellent link.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

I will try the Digital webcast process whenever I get access to my friend's machine again...and I'll report back my results....

Hey guys, I have had this twice now. Checked for viruses and spyware, cleaned them out......no luck. I attempted a repair install......no luck. The only thing I could do was format and reload.

If this Digital webcast works.....please let me know!

I did the manual system restore as outlined in the digital webcast link, but no change: still immediately logs me out upon login.

If you can use Safe Mode:

Enter Safe Mode as Administrator.

Start, Run, CMD

type:

regsvr32 regwizc.dll
regsvr32 licdll.dll
exit

Thank you, but I cannot login under Safe Mode. It does the same thing when trying to login under Safe Mode: logs me right back out.

Another tidbit: after the initial "auto logoff", the "Turn off" button changes to "Turn off 933box" instead of "Turn off computer"....

We did a chkdsk /r and it did find and fix some errors. We're now performing the manual system restore again....

to yert33

Re trying the manual restore, try using the oldest snapshot in the RPxxx files available and see if that helps your problem.

=======

2 heads are better than 1, but 1 is better than a committee.

Turn off 933box" is that being picked up from any text you have entered in the Computer Description box under System Properties/ Computer Name?

linney,

I would assume so, but for Recovery Console, should it matter?

Curious.

My guess is not.

That's what I was assuming, too (933box). But didn't know if it provided any other clue for anyone....

A dying gasp from XP, the only thing that is working correctly (computer description remembered - you can place it on the tomb stone).

Watch it rise from the dead after you perform a repair installation, if Recovery Console and Charlie White fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back