Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Login Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetguy

Technical User
Nov 22, 2003
US
When I log in as any account, even admin, it will immediately log off. There are no errors or anything, please help if this sounds familiar.

What I thought was interesting was the notion that if you use the Welcome Screen logon, XP will automaticly attempt a blank password logon for each account listed. (So it can determine whether to show a password box). Which can lead to an odd result: "If an account lockout policy is enabled, it is possible for an account to get locked out. The failed logon count will be reset when the user successfully logs on. However, since this happens to each account whenever the Welcome Screen is displayed, if the account lockout policy is set to 3 failed attempts, and User A logs in 3 times in a row, User B will have 3 failed attempts and the account will be locked out."

Poor user B. Because he has a password, the logons by User A were tested each time against the B account with a blank password and failed.

What if you know the administrator password is blank, but it still doesn't work.....could it be the media type I am using to do the restore (i.e., home edition is installed but I am using a xp volume edition?)

308402 - 'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery Console in Windows XP

312149 - HOW TO: Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console

If you can get a 2000 CD that Recovery Console can enter XP without a password due to a bug in XP.

Login immediately logs off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back