Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

local area connection mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspees

Programmer
Sep 13, 2006
US
Dell Dimension 2350
Intel P4 1.8Ghz
Socket478 mPGA
Northbridge - Intel i845GL RevB1
Southbridge - Intel 82801DB (ICH4) RevB1

Problem started with not being able to connect to the internet. Local Area connection only. Other symptoms that cropped up:
sometimes not able to get an IP at all
sometimes able to get a real IP but then not able to resolve IP to name.

Troubleshooting - the important steps at least, problem still occurs after each step:
disabled onboard nic, installed PCI nic
complete wipe/reinstall of WinXP
Boot from Hiren's CD to miniwinxp, network diag not able to get IP.
updated BIOS
tested pc on completely different network
installed a completely different hard drive with fresh install of XP.

So this would completely rule out it being caused by a misconfigured router, virus, Windows issues, and bad nic card. What does this leave? Motherboard issue? The computer is able to run installed programs like Word. Just not network traffic. Any guesses at what would cause this?

I don't mean to answer my own question, but it must be that the southbridge is not passing info to the northbridge properly:
All of the communication between components connected to a motherboard occurs through the board's core logic chipset, which is composed of two chips—the north bridge and the south bridge. The north bridge chip resides near the top of the motherboard, next to the CPU socket, and serves as a four-way intersection connecting the CPU, memory, video card (AGP) bus, and its partner, the south bridge chip. The south bridge chip resides at the bottom of the motherboard, and allows plugged-in devices such as network cards or modems to communicate with the CPU and the memory. The south bridge handles most of a motherboard's "value-added" features—such as the IDE controller, USB controller, and onboard sound and Ethernet.

Since you have done the complete homework already yourself, e.g. fresh install, HBCD, different network...

I would suggest, to try another mainboard (eBay from the age of it) or completely upgrade to a more modern components...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Check your network cable.

My sister's dog chewed hers... and I about pulled my hair out, until I actually traced the cable and found bite marks in it.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

BigBadBen,
I took your advice and got a replacement mobo for $40. Good idea!

Thanks,
Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back