Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 vdsl problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schreief

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have the Linksys BEFSR41 router and Windows XP. I previously had an adsl connection that used pppoe and it worked great. Yesterday I got VDSL, and it doesn't use pppoe. If I go to TCP/IP and set my computers IP to 192.168.1.2, SM 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, I can access the router through my web browser, but can't get out on the web. I tried changing the router setting to "obtain an IP automatically", but that didn't work. Here's what I get when I do an ipconfig while the dsl modem is connected directly to the NIC:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mycomp1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-6B-14-50
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.224
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 218.152.207.158
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.152.207.126
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 168.126.63.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 16, 2002 5:38:47 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 16, 2002 6:38:47 AM

I use the router as a firewall and the ability to network my 2 computers as well as have internet access on both comps. As far as I know, my ISP doesn't use my MAC address since they never asked me for one. If I connect the modem directly to my NIC, everything works great. Any help with setting this router up will be appreciated.

Hmm, didn't see you on the Yongsan global.

But, I think you're right, by running the router that way you lose the firewall protection, which was the main reason I got it.
I went to the PX and bought a Linksys 4 port switch. I hook the cable from the modem to the switch, then hook up both computers, and because the KT server uses DHCP, both comps get a unique IP address. Now, for some reason, KT set up their DHCP server to renew the lease every hour, and when it does, I get knocked off line every hour, on the hour while on MSN messenger or IRC...pretty annoying. So I first obtain the IP auto, then manually enter the info into the TCP/IP properties. That way I can keep the same IP(s) for up to a week or more. Every now and then when I boot, I'll get a message that there's an IP conflict with another PC on the network, and then I just set the properties to obtain IP auto, then enter it manually again.
I use zone alarm pro on both computers to keep the hackers out, seems to be doing a good job so far.
Let's hope the good folks at Linksys are reading this thread and are busy as we speak working on a firmware upgrade :)

I just sent the below to support@linksys.com. Maybe if we start "bugging" them, they'll look into this issue.

Hi,

I'm curious if your support team is working on a firmware upgrade for VDSL support on the BEFSR41 router. Please refer to the below link:

There are a number of us here in South Korea who purchased your router and had it working well with ADSL. Not too long ago, our ISP here started offering VDSL, and none of us have been able to get our routers to work. There are some who got it working by connecting through the uplink port, but to our knowledge, this takes out the built in firewall and makes the router more of a hub.
I've already contacted your support once about this issue, and was given the standard "power everything down, then back up in this sequence" advice. That didn't work for me, nor for the other users. At this point, the router is nothing but a blue paperweight, but I'm holding on to it, hoping you guys are at least aware of and working the problem.

Thanks,

Frank Schreier

Just an update...the reply I got back from Linksys didn't sound too promising. I was basically told to check their website periodically for any updates. No answer to my question if they were aware of and working the issue.

Still hoping though.

I check with some of the Locals around here and they told me about an IP share device that they sale at the Electronics Market. Apparently this is another form of a router that works with VDSL. Has anyone heard or seen any of these devices? Apparently they run about the same price as the Linksys router.Frank that was a good try with Linksys, but I'm afraid we are stuck with HUBS instead of routers.lol...take care.......William

All,

after getting back from leave last week I talked to one of our network engineers. The problem was so simple, it is painful! The BEFSR41 only allows 10 Mbps on the WAN port. The new VDSL modems are locked in at 100 Mbps. So, your choice is:

buy a cheap 10/100 hub to connect the two,
user the router as a hub and connect the modem to a LAN port,
go to the PX and get a new Robotics router (it works, I tried it).

regards...

"go to the PX and get a new Robotics router (it works, I tried it)."

As in-The Robotics router acts like a firewall again, just like our Linksys? Are the settings pretty much the same, i.e. router is 192.168.1.1 or did you have to assign the IP from the DHCP server?
If it really works, I'll run over there today if I can get away and snag one. I like Zone Alarm pro, but I don't feel as safe as I did with the router.

The 10Mbps vs. 100Mbps never occured to me...hehe.

Thanks for the tip :)

Oops, silly me, thinking I could just go over and grab one. All sold out with no clue when they'll get some more in....Figures.

One more quick question....which model US Robotics router did you buy? I just checked Mwave.com, and the only model they offer is the Model: USR8000A but according to the specs:

Specifications and Standards

One RJ-45, 10 Mbps Ethernet WAN port

So this may not be the correct one.

The model is the 8000A-02, the WAN port is autoswitching 10/100. The setup is a little different, but not that hard. It defaults the LAN addresses to 192.168.123.1, but you can change it to 192.168.1.1. (Login to config on 192.168.123.254) One neat thing about this is that it has a printer port, so it can be setup as a print server as well.

Good luck!

P.S. You might try to call Osan BX, they could have one and get it sent here.

Did you buy this thing at Yongsan? I called both the PX here, and the BX down at Osan, and both tell me the only model they sell is the USR8000A, not 02(and both places are out of stock). I did a search on the web for the 02, and can't find it anywhere. Even the USR site doesn't have that model!
Blah....sometimes being over here is frustrating :)

Yep, it is listed as the 8000A, but the bottom of the unit and the firmware sites at USR have specifically: 64-008000-02

Hope this helps. I bought it at Yongsan in the return rack - 25% off. I looked at it for two days and finally gave in to and bought it.

Go the the below location and check the datasheet:

I'm on the global: Brody Barnes, give me a call.

For anyone else here in Korea with KT VDSL and the Linksys;

For now, our Linksys is either a paperweight or switch. brodyb is correct about the 10Mb WAN poer...I got the US Robotics router and it works like a charm. For the price, ($65), you can't beat it.

I got one also, the US robotics router works perfectly. Should I use Static IP or dynamic IP setting? It seems to work both ways.

You can go either way. The only reason I set the router to static IP is because the KT DHCP server renews the lease every hour and in the past it would temporarily disconnect me from certain programs like MSN messenger and IRC.

Just curious, how are you guys clocking your speeds? I also have megapass ADSL w/phastpipe and using broadbandreports.com, the highest speed I've hit was 1.7Mbps to Japan. I live in T'aebaek, around Yeoungwol.

Well I have the new VDSL, and I get 10Mb to 13Mb from the local ftps here in Korea (both ways), and around 6-8Mb when downloading from newsgroups in the states. I'm quite happy with the speed, better than anything any of my friends in the states get.
The U.S. is so far behind when it comes to broadband. Sad.

That's fast! Do I just call up Kornet and ask for vdsl?

If they're offering it in your area, yes. Not sure where you live, but from what I understand it isn't available everywhere in Korea as of yet.

I currently have KORNET B&A ADSL at Osan. Anyone have any experiences with upgrading to VDSL at Osan? A couple of questions: is VDSL RJ11 or RJ45? I'm currently running a HMPA RJ11 with a Linksys 10 Meg Cable/DSL router for a Replay Digital video recorder with eithernet capability. I gather from the thread that I need a 10/100. Anyway, back to my original question. Any Osan horror stories?

I'M LOOKING TO FIND A WIRELESS ROUTER FOR THE VDSL. DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOW OF ANY THAT WILL WORK IN KOREA WITH VDSL 10/100
THANK YOU
HOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back