Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 vdsl problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schreief

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have the Linksys BEFSR41 router and Windows XP. I previously had an adsl connection that used pppoe and it worked great. Yesterday I got VDSL, and it doesn't use pppoe. If I go to TCP/IP and set my computers IP to 192.168.1.2, SM 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, I can access the router through my web browser, but can't get out on the web. I tried changing the router setting to "obtain an IP automatically", but that didn't work. Here's what I get when I do an ipconfig while the dsl modem is connected directly to the NIC:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mycomp1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-6B-14-50
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.224
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 218.152.207.158
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.152.207.126
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 168.126.63.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 16, 2002 5:38:47 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 16, 2002 6:38:47 AM

I use the router as a firewall and the ability to network my 2 computers as well as have internet access on both comps. As far as I know, my ISP doesn't use my MAC address since they never asked me for one. If I connect the modem directly to my NIC, everything works great. Any help with setting this router up will be appreciated.

I have Good News To the People that Can not get a LinkSYS Router to work with. VDSL.......First Step Dump the Linksys router and pick up a NetGear router. I live in Glendale AZ I have QWEST.net for a ISP it is VDSL I have 1 Meg of Service. I picked up a NetGear RP614 4 PORT Router. I pluged it right in and I was connected. I went Through 2 LinkSyS Routers and 4 hours of LinkSYS Tech support if you want to call it that. They were scratching thier heads I know that for sure. I am more of a Graphics Guy then a Tech guy. I have it working with no Tech support.
Now getting it configured for file transfer on line will be another story. I will need tech support for that. I hope I helped someone out. after all I was looking for help about this same topic when I found this fourm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back