Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking different phone systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcilvane

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Due to a recent acquisition, I have been tasked with connecting 2 phone systems and am looking for a relatively easy, but reliable solution to connect these systems.
The systems are a Norstar MICS and a Panasonic KX-TD1232. I've been tossing around the idea of getting dedicated ISDN or fractional T1 (yes, there's a lot of data transfer that needs to be done, so splitting off some channels is not that big a deal).
Either way, we would need to expand both phone systems to add the necessary cards. Both are currently analog right now.
So, what I'm looking for is a starting point. If anyone has experience with these two systems in particular, great. If the systems will not cooperate, well I guess we'd need to look at consolidating on one system.

Thanks,
-J

We usually connect different phone systems using OPX. You can still use a T1 and break the channels down to analogue ports. The MICS is easy to upgrade and add T1/PRI capability, and go beyond the 32-station max of the Panasonic. I would get quotes from different vendors and figure out which is the best choice economically and physically.

Good Luck!!

I have a customer who has those exact 2 KSU's connected. They leased two pairs of cable from the Telco provider. They each show up as an outside line on the other's system. They assigned each a line pool code. The staff can dial the line pool code, then the extension on the other system and ring that person.

They are currently looking to using fiber instead of copper to connect the 2. Either way is fine. But the copper is traditionally the more economically feasible way to go.

Bob904, what sort of equipment would need to be added to the KSU's? The programming side, well I can figure that out, but not sure about what modules I would have to add.

Given the distance (95 miles) I think copper should be less expensive.

Thanks.

1.You need to OPX(Off Premise Extension) lines provided by your TELCO.
2.From both systems you need one available C.O port and one analog ext port. For the Norstar side the analog port is called an A.T.A.(Analog Terminal Adaptor).You need a simliar device from the panasonic side.
2.Hook up panasonic analog port to one of the OPX circuits, take same circuit at Norstar side and hook it up to the C.O port.
3.Do the same as number 2 but in reverse using Norstar analog port to Panasonic C.O. port.
4. Prim both analog ports to intercom, and assign C.O. ports to sets or put them in a pool.
5.Have the C.O.'s ring at the reception sets.
To use:
Side A presses or accesses C.O. line and dials ext# on side B. The same applies in reverse...this way it looks the same at both ends to the user.
Now you only have to talk paths between the sites in this scenario but if you need to transfer a call to the other building then instead of doing a trunk to trunk transfer as you would think (dont because of volume loss)..transfer to the analog port, dial 0 and ask them now to transfer you to desired ext(or have vmail answer the C.O. so you can enter your own without assistance) then press join.

spoclogo2.jpg

I would think that the same would be able to be accomplished using IP telephony?

-Wayne

Curlycord is right... That would be less expensive as well to go copper.

Hope that helps!

If broadband is not available, another solution would be to get multiplexers for each location that have loop cards for the regular lines, and E&M cards to the point-to-point connection. Then order E&M point-to-point trunks. Get with the multiplexer vendor on which type you will need (1 or 2). Try Carrier Access Corp, for their ADIT 600 unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back