Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LinkedIn - Are there benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
All-
Earlier this year my mom asked me to help out the husband of a friend of hers in his job search. He's from the UAE and was finding it difficult to get a permanent full time job. He joined LinkedIn and sent me an invitation to join, which I did, but I didn't do much with it for a few months.
However, about 2 weeks ago or so, I got an email that someone I had a connection with completely outside of LinkedIn or the internet, or anything, this person is part of a business networking group that my husband is part of that's like a non-virtual thing, they meet in person and talk face to face on a weekly basis (sounds scary doesn't it?)...anyway, I connected with him on linkedIn and since then I've been browsing the site, I've been connected with a neighbor, my sister is there, I've been accepted in some groups that focus on specific topics (rock climbing, Albuquerque, dragons, etc.). There's an "Answers" area where people post questions about all kinds of things, but not technical questions, more like opinions, and philosophical and more open ended.

My original contact has started a new job...I don't know that his participation on LinkedIn was a contributing factor, I've asked but haven't heard back from him yet.

So I thought I would see if anyone here were members and if you've found employment or experts have helped you in some way. Have you been able to be "introduced" to someone that produced a tangible benefit for you? I can see how those who depend on references and referrals for business or consulting opportunities could greatly increase their exposure and income.

I look forward to your responses!

Leslie

Have you met Hardy Heron?

I've received emails from recruiters that spotted my job history on the site, and while I didn't go work for them, I at least was able to add a few of them (the ones I liked!) to my list.

One piece of advice is to be discriminating in who you let into your circle -- you don't want someone who will be a pain to you or the other people you're linked to.

Chip H.

If you treat LinkedIn like the professional networking site that it is rather than the next myspace then yes it can be a good thing. If you treat it like the next myspace then you probably won't get much benefit. I am very discriminating in you I link to and who I give refferals to. I have more people I have worked with that I don't or won't link to than those that I do.

As for if it works I have a friend in the Southwest US that was contacted about doing some work for a person in AU.

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I've been on LinkedIn for quite a while now. I've used it to meet a lot of people in the database field and in IT in general. While I haven't used any of them to actually get a job, I have met several recruiters on the site. The ones that look legit I've added to my list.

I agree with Paul, if you treat it like a professional networking site you'll get more out of it than if you treat it like the next MySpace.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Ditto. I have a network of people that I work with and used to work with, and LinkedIn makes it easier for me to keep track of what they're doing now and where. I've had a couple of job offers come about from it, but that's about it.

It's really quite a bit like regular business networking, except that it's online and doesn't require as much facetime. That being the case it's easy to add lots of people to your network, but unless you are a recruiter you probably should be pretty selective about who you add to your network.

It's gotten better. In the beginning, I linked with everyone. More recently, I decided to let some of them go. Only recently did it add a feature that allow you to disconnect.

It's good for finding people within companies. If you want to work somewhere, make as many contacts there as you can. This kind of networking also will tell you what to avoid.

Some recruitment agencies have invited me to join linked in but I haven't as yet. Don't really see any point. I don't move that often.

I like to think LinkedIn is a great tool for job hunting, as well as staying in contact with friends and business contacts.

I have met a lot of people through LinkedIn in my field all over the country and I use it to set myself up for the next job. I also use it to keep in touch with my past vendors, resellers and system engineers.

Like what was said before, if you use it as a "business tool" and not like Facebook it is very useful. It has been for me to this point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

I've been leery about LinkedIn since their inception, especially considering I get webmaster@, administrator@, all generic titles @ my company, and I get tons of spammy "join my network" emails from Linked in. Some people find great use for it, but, if I need a real, true, bonafide expert, I will always come HERE.

[2thumbsup]

Dollie, I'd like to point out that I have NEVER contacted you on LinkedIn. :)

I've found that LinkedIn is useful for looking up old work buddies. I've found quite a few of my old military friends on it. It's good to get back in touch and connections certainly can't hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back