Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License Login Limit exceeded- but it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

awayman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
We are getting the following error when clients try to connect to our Citrix server:
The system has reached its license login limit. Please try again later.
[User clicks “OK”]
You do not have access to log on to this session.

* Usually when this happens, less than 10 (inconsistent number)of our 35 Citrix licenses are in use.
* When this happens, a user that is an administrator on the server can still log in.
* Rebooting the server always fixes the problem- for a while
* "For a while" in the previous bullet is anywhere from 4 hours to a day and a half
* I've re-installed our License packs for Citrix
* I've scheduled a nightly job to clean the print spooler & reboot the server
* The connection settings in the connection configuration are set to an Unlimited Max. connection count
* Server administration doesn't show excessive disconnected sessions that aren't releasing
* The clients are (nearly) all Windows 2000 machines, with a few NT machines and a 9x machine here and there.
* NOTHING HAS CHANGED on the server recently that I know of; this problem just started a week or two ago, and our server has been in production well over a year.
*My only guess is that an old Citrix client is accessing the server and messing something up, but I don't believe that one myself.

Please submit your suggestions, or send me winning lottery tickets so that I can get out of IT. =}

One more thing:
We have been rolling our Windows NT machines that are accessing this server over to 2000, so there have been more 2000 machines accessing the box recently than in the past. I have wondered if this is some sort of MS Term. Serv. licensing issue, but I don't don't think it is. Just another clue for the puzzle.

Sounds like the Windows 2000 license issue - there are a number of threads on that in this forum; do a search on license, or check Microsoft's documentation on how Windows 2000 licensing works. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I'm having trouble believing this is a Windows licensing problem. The server is an NT 4 Terminal Server, and my understanding is that 2000 Pro machines have a built-in CAL for accessing Terminal Servers. Also, when this problem occurs, the clients are able to connect to the server and enter their domain login credentials *before* they get the error message. Unless I'm mistaken (which is definitely possible), if the terminal server licensing was the problem, the clients would not be able to get to the login screen. I'll continue to look into the 2000 licensing angle, though, because I think my next step is to reload the server...

One way to check the Windows vs Citrix is try logging in with RDP (terminal services client) and see if you get the same message. If you do not, then it must be a Citrix licensing thing, if you do then it must be a Windows terminal licensing thing.

Chris

The problem is with Citrix, not MS terminal services. The RDP connection connects immediately when we have the problem; the ICA connection will hang after login, as described above. Also, when I run Query License from the cmd prompt, I get:
0 of 0 user licenses are currently in use on the network.
4 user licenses are currently in use on this server.
when we experience the problem. If people can login normally, the message says:
4 of 35 user licenses are currently in use on the network.
4 user licenses are currently in use on this server.

Is there a way to stop the Citrix licensing from crashing without reloading Citrix on the box?

sounds like you need to re create the local host cache.
refer to CTX450326 for more info.

Armra, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I didn't mention, we are running Metaframe 1.8 on NT 4 Terminal Server. From what I'm seeing, the local host cache only applies to Metaframe XP.

FYI, in case anyone else runs into this. There was some file corruption on the box, and the only way to clean up this mess is to wipe the system completely clean (Windows and all), and reload from scratch. Uninstalling & reloading Citrix did not fix the issue, even though it is a problem with the Citrix database getting corrupted. Thanks to all those who replied; they were all helpful, because as one very wise man told me once, "Every No gets us closer to a Yes." Words to live by in IT...

This sounds like an ICA connection or server connection permissions issue. Verify that the users you are trying to connect with have the log on locally right either explicitly or via group membership. I would also verify the permissions defined for the ICA connection. This is done in the Citrix Connection Configuration utility. I really think the log on local right is your problem.

Believe it or not, we are still hobbling along with this server in a semi-functional state, until we get OWA up. Thanks for the suggestion on the connection permissions/ log on locally; they weren't set up quite right, but fixing that hasn't relieved the problems at all. If there are any more ideas, feel free to post!

Same problem here. Running NT4.0 and Citrix 1.8. Lots of licenses, but every now and then Citrix clients cannont log in (reached licensed logon limit), but RDP is no problem. The only way to solve the problem is a reboot. I have tried everything; I'll just keep reading these posts.

We are running Metaframe 1.8 on w2k sp2 (5 load balanced servers). I applied the latest Microsoft Security Patches last Friday and I am experiencing this issue on one of our servers since then. I can log on with Admin account but regular users cannot log on.

No changes have been made to the permissions etc. and they are all set the same as the other servers. I uninstalled the patches to no avail. Other servers are running fine with the new patches.

I've posted in a Citrix forum where there are a number of Citrix employees that regularly answer questions. I also know some guys that work at Citrix, hopefully one of them can get to the bottom of this. It's not a big deal for us unless it starts happening on our other 4 servers.

Yesterday, I noticed that I was able to connect to the Citrix servers directly but got the error message if I attempted to connect to it via a published application.

I removed and added the user groups and Server in question in the Published Application Manager. It seemed to take care of the problem. Users are able to connect to the server via published apps (at least for now).

Try to increase the number of ICA listeners, and see if that changes anything.

Also check how the servers hanlde broken or disconnected sessions, set them to "reset" to let go of any license.

hope it helps.

Pandomas-
There is a "License Logging Service" service, and a "Terminal Server Licensing" service on our box. I assume you are referring to the first; "License Logging Service." Can you explain what this will do when it's disabled (currently, it's set to manual start, and isn't running on the box, so being disabled shouldn't matter, should it)?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry,

I mean the "Terminal Server Licensing" service. I solved your problem 2 or 3 time by disabling this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back