Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let's set a world record with this one !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
One of our favourite family word games is on-going: We love to identify "Triple-word homonyms" such as "to, too, two". I won't spoil our "WordPlay" fun by posting our family's list, but I'll bet with all the Mensa members we have here in this Forum, you will surpass my list very quickly. This is a WordPlay that the sooner you post, the easier it is to play previously unplayed words...so get posting !!!

Again my pump-priming words were "to, too, two" (an no Proper nouns or exclusively non-English words here.)

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 00:09 (30Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 17:09 (29Nov04) Mountain Time

Here's a 4 (sort of)
Code:
[white]
air, heir, err, ere
[/white]

--Chessbot

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -- Asimov, Foundation

Code:
[white]where, weir, ware, wear[/white]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

To extend,
Were (weer)
Dictionary.com said:
were

\Were\ (w[=e]r), n. [AS. wer; akin to OS. & OHG. wer, Goth. wa['i]r, L. vir, Skr. v[=i]ra. Cf. Weregild, and Werewolf.] 1. A man. [Obs.]

2. A fine for slaying a man; the money value set upon a man's life; weregild. [Obs.]

--Chessbot

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -- Asimov, Foundation

Code:
[white]gnu, knew, new
and 
cent, scent, sent[/white]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Code:
[white]bear, bare, beer
vain, vane, vein
right, rite, wright, write[/white]

-L

Code:
[COLOR=white white]carat, caret, carrot, karat
cere, sear, seer, sere
medal, meddle, metal, mettle[/color]

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Code:
[white]dew,do,due
cite,sight,site
right,rite,write[/white]

Well done so far. Here are the current standings for original contributions (i.e., duplicates of others' earlier contributions don't count again):

CajunCenturion: 3
DrJavaJoe: 3
Lothario: 2
SteveGlo: 2
Chessbot: 1 (plus an assist for "were", homonym to "ware")

And in a new sub-category, CajunCenturion and Lothario are tied for the longest single entry in a homonym set: 7 letters.

Keep up the good work.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 18:23 (30Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 11:23 (30Nov04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]cents, scents, sense

seize, seas, sees 

pour, poor, pore

rowed, rode, road[/white]

DrJavaJoe: 7

:)

Code:
[COLOR=white white][b]DrJavaJoe[/b] contributed cent, scent, and sent; to which can be added 'sente'.
Interestingly, the plural of cent and scent yields the following:
cents, scents, sense, cense[/color]

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Code:
[white]censer,censor,sensor
cited,sighted,sited
fay,faye,fey
weather,wether,whether[/white]

-L

Code:
[white]toad,toed,towed
sioux,sou,sough,sue
seas,sees,seize
precedence,precedents,presidents
palate,pallet,pallette[/white]

-L

Code:
[white]buy, by, bye
fore, for, four
ewe, yew, you
heirs, errs, airs[/white]

Code:
[white]byte, bite, bight[/white]

Code:
[white]heal, he'll, heel
rain, reign, rein[/white]

Code:
[white]
there
their
they're
[/white]
Code:
[white]
where
wear
ware
[/white]

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]insert funny quotation here.[/tt]

Code:
[white]preys, praise, prays[/white]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back