Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let's complicate it 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRilliterate

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
I have heard some stand up talking about how minorities changing the way they wanted to be named and he went onto homeless and said if we have to start calling them 'hygiene impaired squeegee technician' but if it is too much we can offer to shorten it to 'outdorsemen'...

I know it is wrong but why did I laught so hard? I know there are masters of complications, anyone?

CRilliterate,
I was asking if anyone of you have examples like that.

You were?
Sorry, I missed that part, too.
Where was it?

I know there are masters of complications, anyone?"
Stella,
please, stop this childishness...I think I just complicated the word?

CRilliterate, Stella was certainly not the only one who didn't understand from your post that you were after further examples. I hardly think her request for you to clarify your point counts as childishness.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Childishness?

I don't remeber many people accusing me of that one.

I am absolutely seriously trying to tell you that until your post dated 5-May-06 7:40, I had no clue whatsoever what was that you were asking. I tried, based on my understandin of the question that actually was there, and based on the title, also. Apparently, it was not it. And, it seems, a few more people were trying to guess.

Can you, please, be clearer when asking the questions?

Anyway, it seems to be clear now.

Stella,
it could be ESL too...you see, I answered your question
"I know there are masters of complications, anyone?"
but you never said if you understood, you now after 'childnesness' which I meant jokingly.
Please, let's move on with the subject.
It was so much fun few posts ago.
I apologize for being not so serious.

But this is the place where I come when my head hurts from formulas. Thanks

sha76 said:
Stella was certainly not the only one who didn't understand from your post that you were after further examples.
Third!

Upon first reading the OP, I thought this thread was created simply to tell a joke (calling the homeless 'hygiene impaired squeegee technicians').

But if you are after more examples of this Political Correctness run amuck, CR, here are a few:
short - vertically challenged
fat - gravitationally challenged
bald - follicley challenged
Cowardly - Challenge Challenged

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Oh boy, it gets confusing.

it could be ESL too...
Who do you think I am? :-D

you see, I answered your question
"I know there are masters of complications, anyone?"

Wasn't it your question?
Or you answered my question by quoting your question?
Then it didn't help the least.
I would have never guess that by "I know there are masters of complications, anyone?" someone could mean "Does anyone of you have examples like that?"

but you never said if you understood
Yes I did, on the bottom of my post dated 4-May-06 17:09.

you now after 'childnesness' which I meant jokingly
The part about "meant jokingly" was the one that I actually understood. And I was not "after 'childnesness'". That remark just showed me that you had no idea that people couldn't understand what you meant, not were just trying to tease you/fool around/substitute topic, etc. So I was trying to tell you that, not to play childish games on you.

Please, let's move on with the subject.
Let's. anotherhiggins already did.

Ok, this is my contribution.
I read this recently on a Russian site. Here is my loose translation from memory - don't have it in front of me.

A message (they claim it to be a real one) posted in the men's room by a part-time cleaning lady:

Code:
"Gentlemen,

Please be more precise, or I will wash the cups with the same cloth I clean the toilets.

[i][b]Office Ecology Manager[/b][/i]"

Hi,
OK,
For those too young to remember :

The renaming of job titles was originally done to reflect the fact that not only MEN had jobs..
The woman who delivers my mail is not a mailman, she is a Postal Worker ..

So it was not Politcal Correctness but ACCURACY that required the change.,

That folks ( mostly comics and conservative commentators) have resorted to reductio ad absurdum methods to complain about it, is not the fault of those who demanded accuracy..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Turkbear,

For mailman I've found Person-Person to be gender neutral and more fun- instead of "male" "man".

Postal Worker and Letter Carrier just seem so formal. Then again, our Letter Carrier has a good sense of humor.

Nick

What about police(man, woman)?
I am still not sure if policewoman is correct addressing.

I always thought Postal Worker is the one who does NOT carrying mail, but works at the post office.

I always thought Postal Worker is the one who does NOT carrying mail, but works at the post office.
You are right.
The person who carries mail is usually called Mail Carrier.
But they all are Postal Workers - those who works at the office, and those who carry mail.

What about police(man, woman)?
I am still not sure if policewoman is correct addressing.

That would be Police Officer. Or just Officer, if you address one.
Or some call them "The finest" .:-D

Actually there are certain terms lately here in germany, that are used and spread by news.

For example the term "children with a migration background" is used for children of foreigners that live in ghettos.

And several professions were "anglificated" within the last decade. Be it in the higher management positions or in professions, whose old name would be too offensive or even just too ordinary. So this tendency to complicate things is widely spread.

On the other side, government discusses simplification of taxes. One argument to not do so is, that a fair law can only be achieved when having several specific taxes and complicated rules. And then again, only the rich can afford a tax counsel to lower their expenses. It's complicated to be fair or political correct. One can overdo so, that's true.

Bye, Olaf.

PS: actually I also did not want to offend you, CRilliterate, it was just a bit funny to read about someone feeling for homeless and directly afterwards telling about some specification of OS and used applications, which is perhaps rather useful in other technology related forums and threads, but not here. I bet even the XP home edition wouldn't help homeless very much, would it? Okay, that was not your main point, just an aside.

Locally, at least in a car club I used to belong to, we called people with no mechanical ability "mechanically declined".

Olaf,
I wasn't even thinking of being offended. We are cool.
You know that technical line is my signature that I can not remove for this forum only. It goes with name and time saver when I ask for help.

Hi,
My post came across as a little 'grumpy'..( It's Friday, after all)..

I just wanted to remind folks that, in spite of the 'sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me' , words can and do hurt..they also can reinforce outdated concepts..

Stella, yes, 'Mail Carrier' is the example I should have used..( Do we still call those who 'ride in a small vehicles and insert the mail into roadside boxes' Mail Carriers? [wink]

[profile]

I've just checked my email and got material for this thread.
I sent email to someone asking if my child can attend workshop and she replied:

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate for children.

Isn't it bit too much of a complex responce and plain

"I don't think it's appropriate for children>" would do just fine?

I can tell even more. This workshop can not be classified as 'appropriate' to any age. It is simply if child will benefit from it or not but 'appropriatness' is totally out of question.

So it should have been simply:
I don't think it's intersting for children.

But some people tend to speak or write like that.

Turkbear,

Where I live, mail carriers don't "ride in a small vehicles", and boxes are rarely located at the "roadside".
But they don't carry the mail in shoulder bags, either. They use kind of small push carts and their own two legs.

Hi Stella,
Sadly, in most suburban areas here ( Twin City area,Minnesota ) the concept of mail delivery to a mailbox on your front porch is long gone..We are given the same type of delivery as rural folks had to live with, but our mailboxes are, at least ,in front of our property and not clustered at some corner ( unless you live in a Townhouse complex or some 'managed' developments)

[profile]

Well, I live in an area not rural and not suburban.
I am a city person (and I like it) - a totally different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back