Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let's complicate it 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRilliterate

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
I have heard some stand up talking about how minorities changing the way they wanted to be named and he went onto homeless and said if we have to start calling them 'hygiene impaired squeegee technician' but if it is too much we can offer to shorten it to 'outdorsemen'...

I know it is wrong but why did I laught so hard? I know there are masters of complications, anyone?

Are you sure it was not said with tong-in-cheek, or even straightforward jokingly?

Because it looks like it was supposed to make you laugh.

Stella,
I said it was stand up COMEDY. And I DO know that COMEDY suppose to make you laugh. Thanks

I said it was stand up COMEDY. And I DO know that COMEDY suppose to make you laugh.

Sorry, I missed this part.

Or may be, that's you who missed the CAPITALIZED COMEDY part in your original post, and mentioned just lower-case stand up which I was supposed to understand but didn't.

I know it is wrong but why did I laught so hard?
But then why do you think it was wrong to laugh?

After all, it is not the homeless that were targeted, but those PC bureaucrats that first make up problems, then the ways to solve it with changing names.

I thought it was wrong to laugh because I felt bad for homeless...

OK then. Do you really want the answer or do you really want to complicate? I will try what I can do here.

I know it is wrong ...
Well, you know, or think you know it is wrong to laugh because of a self-imposed restriction based on a principle you seem to believe. You believe that it is wrong to laugh at any joke that mentions, not necessarily targets, a group of people you feel bad for. So essentially, you don't actually know, you believe it was wrong to laugh - but doesn't seem to be a universal axiom.

...but why did I laught so hard?
Well, because it was funny. And a rare person can completely hold the laugh at something really funny based on believe alone - believe that laughing would be wrong. Laugh is a hard-to-hold kind of urge. And the nature of humor is a hard topic. When you drill too deep to understand why it is funny, it either stops being funny, or ... gets even funnier.

But frankly, after saying all that, I still have no clue what you actually wanted to know or discuss.

Can I read instead of listen? I do chuckle listening Carlos Mencia and I feel like praying every time I commit this sin but Carlos never said anything I consider linquistic to post here.

Whoever awarded me this star - thanks!

But care to explain what did I do to deserve it?

Did I complicate it sufficiently, or what?

Thanks again.
Stella.

Stella,

You are quite a patient person.

CRilliterate- why is listening to Carlos Mencia (or anyone for that matter) a "sin"?

Nick

Seems to me, this thread is more about having an impression, than making one. Of course the one is based on the other.

Bye, Olaf.

Crilliterate said:
thought it was wrong to laugh because I felt bad for homeless...

Sometimes a signature can generate the same ambiguity you perhaps felt about that joke of the stand up comedian.

Bye, Olaf.

This thread however was about complicating rather easy expression like homeless becomes 'hygiene impaired squeegee technician'. Some people just like to use big words instead of small fast ones. I was asking if anyone of you have examples like that. And not about what it turned out to be -discussion of proper laughing which is interesting enough also.

There's method in this madness. Calling binmen 'waste disposal experts' may sound like newspeak except that I have watched the role of my local binmen change to the point where they are waste disposal experts. We in this forum must be aware of the power of words. As long as people are called binmen then binmen they will remain. Calling them waist disposal experts is part of the process of employing waist disposal experts. And if you think they're still just bin men try going down to my local tip, er recycling depot, and see how skilled they have become.

This analogy doesn't always run true and I'm sure there are plenty of counter examples but empowerment through renaming is a valid process. c.f. the UK's Polytechnic to University transformation

Ceci n'est pas un signature
Columb Healy

Thanks, columb! here we go...?

I guess the fast word for this is euphemism.
Encarta said:
1. less offensive synonym: a word or phrase used in place of a term that might be considered too direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive

2. use of inoffensive words: the use of a word or phrase that is more neutral, vague, or indirect to replace a direct, harsh, unpleasant, or offensive term

I always assumed they were changing job titles for the same reason they have done everywhere else.

Long ago people with learning disabilities were 'retarded' but that's not PC these days because people have have used it in a derogitary fashion.

Giving things new names or giving jobs new titles doesn't achieve anything.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

It is ok to not achieving, we are looking up interesting stuff like:
"For instance, toilet was once a euphemism (it had previously referred to a dressing room with washing facilities)"

Thanks, THERambler, that link was fun!

I do have a good friend in the "waist disposal expert" field. He works at our cities sewer plant (human waste filtration, in case the term is foreign to anyone reading). As his close firends we endearingly refer to him as a "Turd Herder".

I agree with Columb's point and since this Forum is about impressions I'd like to add that the term 'waste disposal expert' looks better on a resume than 'binmen' (aka garbage man in the US).

Although the same logic doesn't seem to work with CR's 'hygiene impaired squeegee technician' at least concerning resumes, perhaps a simple 'entrepreneur' would be a better choice. Of course that's assuming he owns the squeegee.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back