Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning IPO, licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1974

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2012
US
I have read that a new IPO system gives you a 90 day trial of most licensed features. If I get a brand new SD card and put it in an used 500V2 chassis, does that constitute a new system as far as licensing? I'd like to learn and play with some of the IPO new features in a lab setting and that seems like the easiest way to go about it.

The 90 days entitlement counts for the IP Office system and not for the SD Card. So only a brand new or a repaired IP500 will have a call timer set at zero. As soon as a call is made on the system the call timer starts running and after 90 days ( 60 for 8.1 ) you always need a upgrade license.
It is quite difficult to understand licensing as it can differ per version, keeping track on it is quite difficult.

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

Thanks for the response! I've been reading up on licensing posts from this board and it is a lot to take in. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is what the value is on the used license cards, keys, and dongles on eBay.

Couple more questions:

1) Is a used license transfer OK with Avaya? I see a lot of used cards and dongles on eBay containing various licenses already installed. I have emailed the seller and asked if Avaya would sell additional licenses (such as version upgrades) for a used SD card and they said yes, but I wanted to make sure this was indeed the case.

2) If you have a 500v2 is there any value in a serial, parallel, or usb dongle? If I understand correctly the old dongles were attached to the computer running voicemail while the 500v2 series uses a sd card to hold the licenses. But I notice that the license part numbers are the same.

1) i would only buy second hand dongles when i actually can see it my self
2) Serial dongles where for the IP4xx range, parallel dongle only for on pc or server, USB also only on PC or server.
All these dongles are not sold and supported anymore.

Buy a new system and use a new dongle just to be sure.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

You can buy a parrallel, serial or USB dongle if you are sure that the attached licenses really belongs to that dongle.
The first thing to do is a license swap from the old dongle to a new SD card and when the swap has been don you can buy any license you want for the new SD card, no problem.
You cannot swap licenses from a old dongle to a new dongle wich already have license attached to it.
As said, you need to be 100% sure the dongle really has the licenses as the seller says. Befor buying ask for the dongle serial key and call a distributor for a license file for it, that is the only way to be sure you get what you buy.
So basically yes, old dongle are valuable if the licenses are still current like VM Pro , SoftConsole, PhoneManager Pro, VCM channel lics, Voice networking lics etc.
Obsolete licenses are Upgrade to Proffessional, CCC licenses ( more or less, you need to buy a CCR upgrade lic to use the CCC lics ) VPN Phone lics, Compact Business Centre, DECT Itegration and a lot more. you could ask here there are some nice guys able to help you.
Be informed....

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

Be carefull with eBay / grey market, especially Licences. Job security for Us techs, We get paid to fix what Customers try to fix! There was a time when I only installed systems.
I agree with the others on getting licence number, and verifing with a BP before You buy it. Also a lot of the eBay cards have obsolete licences on them, so they might not be that much of a bargain after all. I would go with new card, just My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back