Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Last figure in a text box is partially cut off when conditionally formatted as italics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2Life

Programmer
Dec 21, 2002
US
Screenshot_2021-07-21_124552_fzvfcg.png

See example where the right-most part of the zero is cut off. Using Microsoft 365 Access. Need to know how to make the entire number show up completely.
Thanks.

> Using Microsoft 365 Access.

Not enough info. How is the text being displayed? Separate textboxes? Rich text boxes? Labels?

Problem is with a simple standard text box on a form displaying a numeric field from a query. Problem occurs no matter the font size, nor whether bold or not bold is used, nor whether #,### formatting is used. I switched to "centering" instead of right-justification, and the clipping no longer happens. I would have preferred to right-justify the column of figures but it was not critical in this case.

Thank you.

Does setting non-zero right margin help?

combo

I have tried 0 right margin, one of 0.4: same problem. Tried making the text box much wider; that final italic number is still clipped. Also tried making the border solid: no effect.

Currently I am working on a Lenovo P70 Windows 10 laptop. Looks like this is a problem which has existed for a long time. I tried the same things, using a different database, on a Windows 7 laptop: had the same clipping problem.

Trying a different printer driver was suggested. My problem is on the screen. I'm not printing anything.

If you don't want your numbers to look like they are marching off behind the current, stage left, then avoid italics for numeric data. But playing around with it, I did discover a fix: Instead of:
Control Source: [MyField]
you can use:
Control Source: =Format([MyField],"#,###") & Space(1)
You get beautiful, complete digits all the way to the end. Of course, you have changed to displaying text display instead of numbers, but it's just for looks anyway.

Thanks to those who offered help.

>My problem is on the screen. I'm not printing anything.

I am aware of this. However, MS Office applications use the current print driver to helo configure certain screen and font metrics, and this sometimes leads to anomalies on the screen. Changing to an alternate driver can sometimes alleviate this.

Alternatively, you may be using a font that does not have its own italic face, in which case Access (well, Windows) italicises it for you. But the display font metrics are calculated against the non-italic face, leading to clipping. You can check what faces a font actually has available through Windows Settings > Personalisation > Fonts

Thank you, strongm. There is always something more to learn about Windows, and particularly about Access!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back