Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LARGE LIST BOX PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea001

Technical User
Jan 21, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a list box on a form for the user to select a name. The list box is generated from an underlying table and there are thousands of names. If the user selects the list box and types a letter the first name beginning with that letter will be brought up. My question is this: Can you program the list box so that multiple letters can be entered to drill further in??

Thanks,
Andrea

You could create a combo box with a-z in it, that when selected, changes the record source of the list box to reflect any name that starts with that letter.... Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

The list box I have does that already, for instance, if after selecting the list box I type C, it puts me at the beginning of the all of the C's. What I would like it to do is allow me to type in CAT and it will put me at the beginning of the CAT's. Since there are so many names, my users are spending a lot of time scrolling through or using page down.

I don't think so...the property you are looking for is AutoExpand or something similar, which is available for comboboxes, but I don't hink it is for list boxes....

But you could customize the sql statement all the same....what you would want to do is use the after update property for a text box or something, and change the recordsource sql for the list box, the requery the list box.....then, when you change this text box, the list should only reflect items that begin with that text box.... Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!

Feel free to ask me any questions....I will gladly help out. Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back