Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop producing lines all down the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I haven't seen this problem directly yet but my customer has told me about it.

The customer has a Toshiba Qosmio F20 Laptop. After a few hours of use they get 'lines' down the screen and they have to close the lid a few times in order for it to go away.

They have also attached a monitor to the laptop on my advice and said that the lines do not appear on the monitor.

What does everyone think this is? Just the cable which connects the screen to the motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin Moorhouse

Interested in my personal blog?

From the sounds of it, as you describe the problem and the fix by opening and closing the lid a few times, I would say that it is the data cable which has a short circuit. Which opens up through heat that builds up during use...

the solution is to replace the parts as per Wahnulas suggestion, or if the replacement parts plus labor are more than a comparable replacement laptop, then it is time to upgrade...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Poor contacts somewhere are the likely cause.

It's probably cheaper to replace the laptop than repair it unless you can find replacement parts/chassis somewhere like fleabay.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Check out wahnula's link. Determine what pattern your customer is seeing.

If the lines are appear uniformly as vertical or horizontal rows or as a grid, then it's quite possible that the issue is with the integrated GPU on the motherboard. Other types of anomalies could very well indicate a problem with the screen itself, or in more rare situations the video cable. That is an excellent link above to use as a starting point.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

All you need to do is twist the screen and it will go away. It is probably caused by the customer putting heavy stuff on the laptop.

Just hold the left and right edge and either twist forwards or backwards. I get it whenever I raise the lid on my second hand 10 year old laptop. One little twist and the problem is gone. This is the cheap fix. The more expensive fix is to replace the screen. Suggest both to your customer - you never know, he might be a cheapskate like me and opt for twisting the screen every time.

Hi all,

I sent the pics on the various screen problems to the customer and none of them match!

He has said that the whole display goes out, like someone turning the lights off and then flicking it back on again.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

He has said that the whole display goes out, like someone turning the lights off and then flicking it back on again.
sounds like the inverter is going out on the guy...

Ben

If I am not mistaken, Laptop inverters can be purchased seperately and are external of the screen...

I would suggest to just get the inverter and replace it...

PS: I've never done this replacement myself but should be straight forward with the information sofar gathered...

Ben

Thanks Ben, I have already had a look around and your right I can purchase the inverter on its own.

I don't suppose anyone can help me locate a service manual for a Qosmio F20 laptop?

I have found the service manual on the Toshiba site but can't find the service manual for taking it apart?

Would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of this.

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Hi all,

Further update!

I have collected this laptop and brought in for testing.

The customer assures me the screen problem happens 'all the time' however I have been running it for almost 3 hours now without a problem.

The whole time I have been running intensive diagnostic tools to make the laptop work hard but no of any display problems?!?

Any ideas?!!

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Hi all,

I ran it for just shy of 7 hours and found no problem with the screen.

However after speaking to the customer I said I would open it up just to check the leads were ok.

In my opinion the video cable looks a little worn to me, what do you think?

Check out the lead here:
Gavin Moorhouse

Bit difficult to tell from the picture as we can really only see the outer "cloth" type covering to the cable. What do the individual wires look like inside?

There is usually some kind of multi-pin plug on the end of this lead. What do the pins/socket holes look like? If they are dirty and/or corroded, this could be part of the problem.

Ben, for some reason or other I thought (probably wrongly!) that the invertor was located inside the bottom of the screen? Perhaps someone can clarify that point for us...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

That looks like frayed duct tape! Is that cloth part of the cable or just tape securing it down?

Have you tried (with the laptop assembled) opening and closing the laptop while running to see if you can replicate the problem?

Tony

Users helping Users...

@Roger,
Ben, for some reason or other I thought (probably wrongly!) that the invertor was located inside the bottom of the screen?
on laptops, the inverter is a separate module... take a look at the link Wahnula provided, better yet here is a direct link to one

Ben

Thanks Ben. Yes, Tony's link provides a nice clear shot of it nestling in the bottom of the screen surround - thought that's where it was! I guess I misinterpreted what you said as it being located within the main part of the laptop... All clear now, thanks! [thumbsup2]

ROGER - G0AOZ.

All clear now, thanks!
Now I get it myself... sorry for the unclear terminology there...

Ben

There is usually a ribbon cable that connect the LCD screen
to the computer. It could be loose at either end and cause the
problem that you have noted.. If the GPU had a problem,
the problem would present on a external display, but it's
not, therefore GPU is OK
I had the problem with a Sony VAIO notebook and found
the ribbon cable was not properly secured at the motherboard end.
Then I pressed the clip down toward the motherboard
and till heard a click I resembled the case and had no further problems.

Pete/Technician-now retired
Nicknamed "Einstein" by former co-workers

Hi all,

I had the laptop for 3 days and testing it with various software and tested tilting the lid but I never saw the problem myself.

As a precaution I reseated the video cable and cleaned out the laptop with air duster and a brush.

The laptop is now back with the customer and so far is working fine.

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back