Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laptop is very slow 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfin

Technical User
Aug 9, 2020
IN

I have a Toshiba laptop satellite c50-A i2012 with 2gb Nvidia GeForce 710m graphics card and 4gb RAM. It had windows 8 pro inbuilt. After some years, I changed windows to 10. After 2 months, laptop started to slow down. games started to get slower. After some days, graphics card drivers stopped working (showing error). Whenever I install driver software, it crashes. I gave it to a shop and they said like graphics card is dead. And he told me to never install its driver.
It started to slow down after some days. And I gave it to another technician (fact is I don't know him). He said that it had motherboard problems and needed chip level servicing. He changed windows into 7 and told it is repaired. I don't know what he says is true and have no money for giving lap to stores... Still my lap is very slow. It even need almost 10minutes to start Playing a movie. I ran a test and found out that the hard-disk is a bit weak too. Cpu usage is only 1%.
Please help me fix my laptop. I will give information on my laptop whatever is needed. Thanks.

Hard to say where the problem lies. But with a laptop that old, it's time to start saving for a new laptop. Don't throw away any more money on it.

Would not have a problem changing the hard drive for a SSD as a start since the HD has a problem. But would also consider Linux as an alternate for the OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

4gb RAM is very tight for a Windows machine. I would first look at upgrading that. RAM upgrades have always improved laptop performance for me.

But, I do agree with goombawaho. For the amount of money you might spend on "repairs", you could have a good amount of money for a new laptop.

It's a 3rd generation i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 5400 rpm drive. Too many things to upgrade!!! Never mind fixing the actual original problem.

I just need to use it as a normal pc...only to use autocad... Could it be repaired so that I'll be able to use the pc

And it also has another problem... It's display has a hole-like ink leaked from it...
On the top left side of the panel.

Could it be repaired so that I'll be able to use the pc"
Assuming you could find the right person to fix (which you have not so far), it could be repaired. But we are trying to tell you that spending money to repair an old, broken and slow laptop is a bad idea. It would better to invest in a new or used laptop.

I ran into just about same issue here. Ended up Windows was saving to many temp files in Windows folder slowing everything down

a couple of things. Load and use ccleaner on your machine. It will fix a lot of problems. Make sure you only get it from the following link. There are hacked versions out there. The free version works just fine.

And the second thing is that 4 gig for a windows 10 machine doesn't give you much available memory. I would upgrade to at lease 8 gig. It will make a real difference. If you machine is capable of holding more memory, an additional 4 gig of memory is very inexpensive from amazon.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Thank you very much for all your replies. I'm not going to waste my money on the old one..
Hey, which is good 9gen i5 or amd ryzen 3500u

Laser? a laptop doesn't use an optical drive as it's main storage. Ignore everything that mariah1902 said

Bill
New York State, USA

I am so sorry, I copied the user name from the comment previous to mariah1902, which was yours. I will edit my comment. Again I apologize

Bill
New York State, USA

Looks like someone redflagged mariah1902, which makes our comments look stupid ...

Agree - replies should be retroactively deleted to the point where newcomer started reviving the thread.

What is it with someone joining up and then out of the blue start reviving old threads. Is it an "ego" thing or are they trying to put an ad in their signature or what? Happens periodically.

WOW!!! This is in the forum528

TT_T_qfgmet.png

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back